Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Lake St. Clair here in south east Michigan has one of if not the best small mouth bass fisheries in the world. I don't even try for them and catch them all the time. And they get really big in the open water.

Pharmacyguy-Jim

Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Lake St. Clair here in south east Michigan has one of if not the best small mouth bass fisheries in the world. I don't even try for them and catch them all the time. And they get really big in the open water.
Itching to do that sometime. A friend keeps a boat up by Alabaster but our schedules don't mesh too well and he's not as crazy as me when it comes to fishing.

Last edited:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I know a guy who fishes it for the musky in there. Impressive to say the least with the size of some of those things. They'd eat a 15 in small mouth in one swipe .Lkl

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Yup, world renowned for the Muskie too!
Personally I just fish for perch and walleye.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Havent updated this in awhile!!

Been fishing hard all month I've been off work with interesting results. Very low returns of fish to the river this year so we are really having to work for them. Primarily back trolling plugs to cover as much water as possible. Also a nice relaxing way to fish!

On top of that no/minimal snow and cold temps have been hard on gear. Couple days ago buddies boat was froze to trailer and the whole thing started floating sideways down river and almost crushed side of his truck in. I thought that was kinda wild until yesterday when I went to back the jeep down a hill with my boat and it was glare ice... started sliding and jackknifing going in reverse right at the river!!! Scared the crap right outta me and took awhile to get off the ramp and into the woods some where there was some traction. After some high rpms and lots of swearing I walked it back up the hill with boat on and nothing was damaged. Dropped boat off trailer (thank God for a drift boat) and slid it down the hill to the river.

Anywho... been quite the month so far!!

20181111_132443.jpg

20181111_084550.jpg

20181230_140058.jpg

20181230_152027.jpg

received_352570795506719.jpeg

received_2110362469277536.jpeg

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
Nice ¨fishies¨ Cody! The last shot is very nice, love it.

Glad your Jeep didn't take a cold bath lol. What would jackknifing mean, by the way?

Regarding the cold, seeing snow in the boat- do you, or anyone else for that matter, use any on-board heaters to stay warm? Extra shots of liquor (guess that goes hand in hand with these fun trips :drinks3:)? Or is it just good gear? Any clothes are good if you are moving, such as hiking but moving doesn't fit the description here.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Nice ¨fishies¨ Cody! The last shot is very nice, love it.

Glad your Jeep didn't take a cold bath lol. What would jackknifing mean, by the way?

Regarding the cold, seeing snow in the boat- do you, or anyone else for that matter, use any on-board heaters to stay warm? Extra shots of liquor (guess that goes hand in hand with these fun trips :drinks3:)? Or is it just good gear? Any clothes are good if you are moving, such as hiking but moving doesn't fit the description here.

Think of a folding pocket knife and how ya close it. Boat went 90 degrees sideways as jeep plowed it outta the way.

Warm clothes... I bring heater but it's used to cook on more than anything. Booze works also but only makes you think you're warm when in fact you're not. The only thing that really gets me sometimes is the wind... otherwise I usually do not get cold.

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
I see! I have been into alpaca and other wool sort socks and it feels like I have been stupid for the most part of my life LOL. They made a difference. I have some Darn Toughs, warm as hell. Too warm, in fact, if I am moving, otherwise they're fine. The Altera alpaca socks I got in MT are lighter, but war too, they're for moving, less for sitting. I wish I can get my hands on some Russian Valenki felted wool boots, that would be the best out of both worlds hahhaha! Lastly, I've been thinking about buying the Sealskinz waterproof merino socks, not really a bigger price tag, 20ish dollars.

Unless...the electrically heated soles :cool:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I see! I have been into alpaca and other wool sort socks and it feels like I have been stupid for the most part of my life LOL. They made a difference. I have some Darn Toughs, warm as hell. Too warm, in fact, if I am moving, otherwise they're fine. The Altera alpaca socks I got in MT are lighter, but war too, they're for moving, less for sitting. I wish I can get my hands on some Russian Valenki felted wool boots, that would be the best out of both worlds hahhaha! Lastly, I've been thinking about buying the Sealskinz waterproof merino socks, not really a bigger price tag, 20ish dollars.

Unless...the electrically heated soles :cool:

I have family who uses the heated soles and love em!

DaveHawk

Reaction score
First name
david
A couple people have asked about some pics before so here's some.

I hope to share some fish pics and also some neat things I happen across here in Michigan. Lots of cool stuff and logging era remnants if you know what you're looking for. Some are obvious some are not!

I hope to keep adding photos to this for you all to enjoy!

View attachment 98041

View attachment 98042

View attachment 98043

View attachment 98044

View attachment 98045

As the young people say : THAT"S SICK ! I use to fish the North Atlantic in Shark Turnies , Had a blast. Did a lot of salmon fishing in Turnies out of Mexico NY , Fished the Amazon, fished the Imjim river on the boarder of North and south Korea , Fished the Zak lakes in Canada for big Pike and smallies but I have never had the pleasure to fish for big trout !!! This spring I'll be in the outback of Maine hunting turkeys at a friends fish camp. He said no one hunts the turkeys that are everywhere. So morning hunting turkeys and afternoon fishing.

Strider

Reaction score
First name
Loris
Are they worth the buck? Since there will be a lot of movie extra jobs soon I will apply to, and the winter postpones each year by at least a week, I am thinking about buying those. Standing a long time is the majority schedule between the shots :coffeenews: Even in my Corcoran jumpboots, it gets cold!

Jackknifed, got it. Happened to me in camp this summer. Got stuck in mud, tried to reverse with couple big boys rocking the E350 back and forth, and when it jumped, the trailer got within a few inches of the chromed bumper, jackknifed. Then we realized it would be good to detach it haha!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Are they worth the buck? Since there will be a lot of movie extra jobs soon I will apply to, and the winter postpones each year by at least a week, I am thinking about buying those. Standing a long time is the majority schedule between the shots :coffeenews: Even in my Corcoran jumpboots, it gets cold!

Jackknifed, got it. Happened to me in camp this summer. Got stuck in mud, tried to reverse with couple big boys rocking the E350 back and forth, and when it jumped, the trailer got within a few inches of the chromed bumper, jackknifed. Then we realized it would be good to detach it haha!

They say they are but I've never tried em

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
This short guy (prolly size of @Tony from what I've heard) showed up this weekend with the biggest ladder I've ever seen....

Just got the results of the pics today. I'm the one in the middle....

FB_IMG_1549287659664.jpg