Flacer22’s piece

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I decided to fill the cracks with coffee grounds. I thought that it would compliment the burned rim. Looks pretty good, that’s the only progress to report.

ECAE20A7-195B-4865-94EA-80C87CA1A694.jpeg

8F3C369B-11FB-4D3C-AFDE-6DC355ABF497.jpeg

Johnlee

Reaction score
First name
John
I think Epoxy looks great on figured maple. It makes the figure and grain pop. I will post some pics of a maple burl goblet with and without epoxy coating. Epoxy can be shiny or a dull finish.

Johnlee

Reaction score
First name
John
I would burn the edge. I like the burned edge look on designs of such.I use a magnifying glass on my edge burning.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I think Epoxy looks great on figured maple. It makes the figure and grain pop. I will post some pics of a maple burl goblet with and without epoxy coating. Epoxy can be shiny or a dull finish.
Definitely post it, I’ve never finished anything with epoxy. Are you using the bar top stuff, or the 5 minute epoxy? There’s a guy in Dallas that only turns for galleries. I was reading about the way he finishes his work. He uses the same stuff that they finish show cars with. It’s pretty insane.

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
I would burn the edge. I like the burned edge look on designs of such.I use a magnifying glass on my edge burning.
That’s pretty interesting, i would have never thought to do such a thing. Does it produce a more controlled burn?

Johnlee

Reaction score
First name
John
Definitely post it, I’ve never finished anything with epoxy. Are you using the bar top stuff, or the 5 minute epoxy? There’s a guy in Dallas that only turns for galleries. I was reading about the way he finishes his work. He uses the same stuff that they finish show cars with. It’s pretty insane.
I use several types. For goblets I use food safe (max clr). I use system three also, downside not UV friendly. Those are my main two. I also use behlens food safe inside and out (not epoxy) polyurethane. Just depends on the customer. There is a learning curve. The finish can be glass like or matte,polished. If I want the wood to look natural after several coats of epoxy I will use a 3 m scotch brute pad and scuff it some.

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Whoa where have I been is a question how did I miss this haha and btw this is awesome!! Here I was hopeing box was gonna make it to ya ok haha. Looks really cool so far!

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Whoa where have I been is a question how did I miss this haha and btw this is awesome!! Here I was hopeing box was gonna make it to ya ok haha. Looks really cool so far!
Thanks, The big piece you sent is awesome. I can’t wait to start on a it. I have the third smaller piece on the lathe now. I’ll try to get a box out next week

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Thanks, The big piece you sent is awesome. I can’t wait to start on a it. I have the third smaller piece on the lathe now. I’ll try to get a box out next week
Glad you liked and ya I think the maple aha some cool figure be cool to see how it turns. I like the crazy black lines in the cherry why I wanted it even though was really small

Brandon Sloan

Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Glad you liked and ya I think the maple aha some cool figure be cool to see how it turns. I like the crazy black lines in the cherry why I wanted it even though was really small
Well I hope you like it when it’s finished. I’ll be sending a surprise with it.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Didn’t work on Andy’s piece today. It needs some epoxy work. I did grab one of the small pieces of burl he sent. I guess I needed another challenge. This piece was a little lopsided and had some flats from the chainsaw to deal with. I think it’s good to try stuff like this. It’s not a functional piece and it’s not that pretty, but it does look cool. I removed the bark because it was missing in a few places. It’s completely natural edge.

Tell me what you think

View attachment 190746

View attachment 190747

View attachment 190748

View attachment 190749

View attachment 190750

View attachment 190751
I love this piece!! I can't really add anything constructive to the original piece that someone hasn't already said, especially since I'm fairly new to turning myself. I do like the way it's turning out though. :)

Last edited: