♫ εηdεd ♫ Flood of Wood Offical Giveaway Thread

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Here's where to show your wood guys and begin the giveaway. The rules. I have tried to keep them to a minimum and base them on the suggestions we received in the original thread, so without fanfare here they are:

1) Wood may be donated using any size USPS priority box. Wood quality must be considered very high by the average woodworker.
2) Finished items and tools may also be donated.
3) Donors are responsible for shipping costs to send to their respective winner
4) Donors may or may not elect to be in the running to be one of the winners
5) Three winners will be randomly selected once the donation deadline has been reached
6) Total boxes will be divided into 3 groups and winner #1 gets first pick of his number of boxes, then 2nd and 3rd place. In the case of an odd box it will be in winner #1 group
7) Winners may send finished items to donors at their discretion

Does this sound fair? I know we could make it much more complex but trying to keep it simple.

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
RE: Give Your Wood Here . . .

I get to my new house in Fort Bliss on the 8th and the movers are supposed to deliver my stuff the 11th (including the cedar chest full of wood they laughed at me for having) so I will post some pictures when I get all my stuff back! Please dont start this shebang without me!

BarbS

Reaction score
First name
Barb

Sounds good, Kevin. Simple is as simple does.

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael

I am with Josh, I fly to Washington in an hour and wont be back until Friday and will be doing the Texas Tech game and tailgating most of the day Saturday so will likely be Sunday before I can get some "pitchers" posted. So pllleeeeaaassseee dont start without me (man that was pathetic).

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We won't rush it then so everyone can participate. My pictures were horrible anyway so I'm going to put the rest of my wood together and retake the pics.

Barb sorry to scare you like that we've been watching those crime shows too much lately and it occurred to me I could get framed for something sending my DNA to all over the place. :i_dunno:

healeydays

Reaction score
First name
Mike
How about we put a deadline to post boxes of Oct 18th? That gives everyone time to put a box together and post. Then that gives the weekend to do the drawing and picking for shipping around the 21st?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I don't have anything against the 18th I guess. Sounds good to me. Let's get some feedback on it before making it official.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
A question though- lets say we have 15 contributors- 10 possible receivers- 3 win 5 boxes each- 2 are turners one flathead- flexibility for last minute contents change??? or some of us just get to keep our contribution secret. If you contribute but do not want to win you should have the choice of picturing or not picturing wood. just my thoughts.........

justturnin

Banned
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Cool idea, must have missed the R&D thread but I like the idea. Every donor should be a winner. Use an RNG to assign each donor a number and go from lowest to highest to choose your box. Just a thought since it looks like there may end up being several boxes made available. Just some thoughts.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
justturnin said:
Cool idea, must have missed the R&D thread but I like the idea. Every donor should be a winner. Use an RNG to assign each donor a number and go from lowest to highest to choose your box. Just a thought since it looks like there may end up being several boxes made available. Just some thoughts.

That works but how about every donor that does not want to win just gets thrown in the pool so some donors win more than one. These donors are not anonymous but their boxed can or do not have to be pictured.

SDB777

Reaction score
First name
s
I don't get back from vacation until late this week. I will do my best to get something put together then and get a photo for ya!

Not sure about the most extreme high end type timber, but it will be from my stash! And I am thinking about doing a Large USPS Flat Rate.....just because.

Scott (woohoo, we talkin' bout free wood) B

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I don't understand why it would be a good idea for a donor to not show the wood. How is the winner going to see it? You going to PM a picture to all the players? This one is over my head Mike please fill me in.

Regarding flat work or turning, blocks can be resawn into boards, and boards can be glued into segmented blocks. I think most woodworkers here can cope with any size wood they receive and since they're the ones choosing their box anyway they wouldn't choose something they don't want. When 3rd place is left with what boxes are left that's just the way it is - surely they'll be happy to have wood. Anyine can always barter something they can't use for something they can with another member once the dust settles. But this another reason why wood has to be shown I can't understand why not showing the wood donated is a good plan but I am al ears . . . :unknown:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I would think the winner would see it when he got it but??? He or she could publicize. I see nothing wrong with a surprise box -especially if it is from someone that expects nothing but a heartfelt thanks. Give away is just that is it not- not a contest as to whom will give more away.
Flatworker vs spinner- no offence but I as a flat worker have very little use for a box of penblanks- especially with the caveat that the winner has to keep them an do something with them. Just my thoughts.

justturnin

Banned
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Not sure I have this right. So several folks donate and three winners are chosen. Each winner picks a single box from the options?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Mike I think your idea just complicates things. And it goes against everything WB has been about - out in the open. I still have not heard you say why not showing the wood is a good idea? How can the first place winner select the wood he wants if he can't see it? How can he choose the wood that best suits him? How can he avoid the pen blanks if he doesn't want them if the box is a mystery box? As far as pen blanks do we make a rule no pen blanks allowed? Where do we stop with rules? I think it will work out - most members are reasoable and trustworthy (I know you are not suggesting otherwise - just saying I feel it will not be a problem) so I doubt it will be all boxes of pen blanks but what if so? it is after all FREE wood and as I said anyone who ends up with something they do not want can "barter" it for other wood. Any of that make sense?

Let's make it official. Anyone wanting to donate wood needs to show pictures of the wood - just like always in the WB tradition.

@Chris the rules explain it pretty clearly and as Dave said short and sweet three winners, divide the boxes in groups of three. Odd box goes to the 1st place winner.

BarbS

Reaction score
First name
Barb
Kevin said:
We won't rush it then so everyone can participate. My pictures were horrible anyway so I'm going to put the rest of my wood together and retake the pics.

Barb sorry to scare you like that we've been watching those crime shows too much lately and it occurred to me I could get framed for something sending my DNA to all over the place. :i_dunno:

ha. paranoia. I think. ?

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
BarbS said:
Kevin said:

ha. paranoia. I think. ?

More like another failed attempt at humor. :morning2:

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
A lot of folks like pen blanks Dave. Some don't. The ones that do not, and end up with them, both things that have not even happened yet, can go to a site called wood barter and trade them for something they can use. :smile: