Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Food, drinks, recipes.

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Strider, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Strider

Strider Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Loris
    Haven't seen such a thread here...but let it be for recipes, regardless of the kind.

I have a bunch some of you might find more than tasty and appreciative, simple and fast to make, being Americans and respectful for the hedonistic view on life. :drinks3:

During the past few months I have been buying bones with marrow, for ridiculously cheap price. Not that it is on discount, or past due, but because no one seem to buy them anymore, since all the soups are made from bags these days and this...delicacy gets forgotten. It used to be the prime food for the taking. So, I have plenty of food for two, three days. Soup sounds filling? I have to be joking, right? No, I am not.
    The bone marrow is super nutrient, delicious and verrrry filling.

-5 Liter pot, filled with water 4/5 of the way, add 4-5 hollow bones. When the first fat content swims up, shortly, if the water is already boiling, scoop it away. I mean the brown stuff, foamy stuff. You may leave it if you like.
    -Add two tS of salt and one tS of olive oil (or canola)
    -Take a pan simultaneously and add carrot coins and butter (or tallow). When they get soft, take it all to the big pot (makes it a bit faster, and tastier- the fat gets the flavor stuck in it).
    -Add a whole onion, fresh parsley and celery leaves (few fingerfull), three garlic cloves (the fat gets the flavor, any more might be a bit much, kills the taste) and you may add the cut celery root. Add potatoes if you want it thick

Cook it for an hour to two on low, but boiling. You can add beef, but it renders the cooking time, depending on how you like it.

So, I take out the bone on a plate, and I scoop out the white marrow. I take a slice of bread, spread marrow on it, and add a pinch of salt. You will thank me for it. Two shorter bones, I mean their marrow, on two slices of bread and you're good for 6 hours.

* I am cooking it atm, do wait for photos! :cool:

2. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    My girl makes soup stock with bones like that and the soup is delicious and nutritious, and yes it does keep you full and satiated.

3. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    You mean like bone...erm...broth? That can be frozen and used anytime?

4. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
  5. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    I see. Haven't tried the slow cooker method (they are not really a fashion here) but I've heard the longer you cook the bones, the more nutrients you strip from them. That's my kind of soup lol! Is straining necessary?

6. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    I really dont know what she does with it, I just eat it up. I can tell you it is super dark brown and delicious.

7. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Super dark brown sounds exactly what I saw over the pond. I think it several hours if not even more. I am just eating a slice of full wheat bread with spread marrow and ground paprika. Hot digity it is good!!

8. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Add a teaspoon of Lemon Juice or Vinegar to your water when cooking it. The acid in either will strip more nutrients from the bone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Yup, hard to beat a good bone broth! I make them as often as we have bones around to make them from. Great for drinking hot by itself, especially when sick or to warm up in winter, or as a great base for soups and stews.

10. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    I will try it once, or if I am sick.
    Ever since I bought local black locust honey and added granulated pollen to it, making it creamy and tastier (if you haven't eaten bee pollen, it is unlikely you'll know the taste)... But apart that ai didn't get a cold in that period. I'd add propolis but hell, it's too expensive.

Anyhow, did anybody try bison bones?

11. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Betty just told me she adds apple cider vinegar to the pot and the marrow becomes gelatinous and just falls out of the bone. She cooks it overnite in a slow cooker on low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    IMG_20190322_145623.jpg
    IMG_20190322_142536.jpg
    Sooo, finally the sun came up and so did the temperatures. U went for a short hike and found several wild asparagus. Omelet imminent.

Cut em up, cut garlic, parsley and cheese.
    Add olive oil to the pan and when it gets hot add garlic and asparagus, in one heap (won't burn). When they turn extra green and garlic gold, break two eggs on top of them ans stir. Then add chese, when you flip the eggs. Afterwards salt and pepper. That is it!

IMG_20190323_222355.jpg
    IMG_20190323_222720.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    That's good healthy real food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Great stuff Loris!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  15. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky

Haven't ever seen my mother-in-law cook, have you?

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Thanks! The only downside of eating garlic is... My already low blood pressure hahaha! It knocks me out

17. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Has anyone ever tried kefir? If you haven't I highly recommend it. Kefir is big in the Balkan countries, along yogurts and sour milk. We've always had a thing for dairy, cheese especially.

In the stores, depending on the brand, you can get a big range of prices, but you can also make it at home with minimum requirements and process. All you need is the grains, the culture. Wrongly named the Tibetan mushroom, because it isn't a mushroom at all.

It is easy to make. All you need is milk (I use it that way) and a fine strainer mesh, or cheese cloth for filtering, a glass jar, cloth to cover and a spoon to stir.

Add milk to the jar, by the eye, and add the kefir grains (I had a tS). There isn't much fuss about the amount, but the greater number of grains you put in the faster it will produce kefir. Cover with cloth and let sit in a sunny spot or a warm until it gets thick. Jiggle the jar and you will see if it turned to a yogurty texture or not. The higher the temperature, the faster it will be done. You can occasionally stir the milk. Once it thickened, stir it good; use a strainer mesh and strain the kefir to a container or directly to the cup you will use and the grains in the strainer. They say you should wash the grains while they're in the mesh, with water, but I saw no difference. Repeat the process by your desire. Just add new milk to a washed jar and wait again...or add the milk to the same used jar that has some kefir and the grain left in it. Makes sense it will produce faster. The grains will grow, slowly, in time. When you have pkebty, I am sure you can make a freaking gallon if you will, fir the price of one milk jug. You can then exchange the extra grain for goodies with family and friends.

As for the eating part...well... Just like any yogurt, add seeds, fruit, or go plain. Use the rest like you would yogurt. Put the extra in the fridge and you're good for a few days.

Regarding issues, I had pretty inactive grains that took 4-5 days to form anything in 1/3 of a cup, and it turned pink and smelly (the fat from the milk spoiled) but now the sun helps and the higher temperature too. In one day, yesterday, I got 16 oz of milk turned to kefir with a tS of grain.

One more thing... There is a lot of myths about eating the grain and it growing in your stomach which is ridiculous and also about using metal containers and spoons which should be avoided because metal kills the grains. That is nonsense because stainless steel is inert... it might be true with silver or copper tableware . They are anti-microbial and acidic. Washing grain after each batch is also mythical as I've seen no difference, positive or negative side effects, when making a new batch.

As for the benefits of drinking kefir best use Internet database. There are many sources, articles and videos of its health benefits and medicinal value, it being a good natural anti and probiotic, particularly after drinking medicine antibiotics if you're ill.

15535168377621243950526664888809.jpg

Oh, and you can use water, coconut water, milk-water ratio... Whatever you find online, any liquid the bacteria will fees on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  18. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Going back to the original - Bone Marrow - what about making Butter of the gods!

Rip 6" long pieces of beef leg bone into two halves.
    Apply SPC (Salt, Pepper, Cayenne) or whatever rub you want - I would not recommend a sweet rub.
    Put in smoker, cut side up.
    250 deg for about an hour or so.
    Mix up a butter mix of salted butter, chopped garlic and chopped shallots or green onions
    15 min into smoke apply the butter mixture liberally
    Use a spoon and dig in
    When you do - you'll know why "Butter of the gods"!

[​IMG]

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  19. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    I'll try it. I can only get short and cut bones in the store. I coukd ask then nit to saw the tigh.

Wow, that really looks delicious.

20. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    This is a great thread! My way of eating for the last 3 years has been to keep it very simple, nothing packaged or processed and as low carb zero sugar as I can be. I eat meats, veggies, cheeses and dairy, eggs, and only real olive oil or coconut oil and butter. I dont count calories and eat like a pig and still lost45 lbs and kept it off. I dont miss the grains like wheat flour, rice or oats. My way of eating is more paleo, in other words what would a caveman eat? I have gotten off all of my meds and all of my ailments have gone away. So there has to be something to this way of eating. I do alot of one skillet meals.

Current Time: 4:37 PM