Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Food, drinks, recipes.

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Strider, Mar 21, 2019.

1. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Here's a great one skillet meal that's a anytime meal that fills you and stays with you.
    Sautee fresh mushrooms and onions, I then add a smoked beef brisket that has no preservatives or nitrates.
    20180211_113904.jpg Add fresh broccoli florets.
    20180211_114030.jpg Scramble a dozen eggs with heavy cream and pour over the other ingredients and stirr frequently.
    20180211_114250.jpg Smother with cheeses of your choice, I use many for variety.
    20180211_114701.jpg Done, you can add salsa, guacamole, or sour cream and enjoy. Nutritious, delicious, and the right kinds of fat to eat. I do this almost every week.
    20180211_115616.jpg

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Strider

Strider Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Loris
    Oh dear, each picture is better than the next one hehe! Love the quantity progression to the last photo! Now we're talking! :D Delicious.
    What kind of mushrooms do you eat?

I agree with you. I have mody type 2 (presumed) so my sugar is all over, without the need to do pills or shots. Fasting was around 90-110, but after meals (at least in the USA where I kept track) it averaged around 130-150 . Sometimes spiking to 180, rarely above...well unless I craved for more beer than I cared LOL! :drinks3:It is a hard battle, but over the past decade I haven't done much until three years ago. I cut out all the pasta, rice, white flour pastry (processed?) and all those grains. I had to let go of my bellowed potatoes, fried, baked, cooked, salted, mashed, virtually any kind. Now I don't even miss it. No more fried stuff that has a crumble batter on it, nothing deep fried. I never drank soft drinks so it was an easy battle to win. But, the hardest was to eat often and in small amounts. And beer. I miss beer. I would eat my bodyweight if I could :scare3:
    But my BG levels dropped with each activity, walking, hiking, reading (gosh, brain exercise burns calories!!) and now my hb1ac is 5.7. When I discovered it a decade ago it was 6.2, peaking at 7.4 at one point. It is reversible.

To sum it all up, exactly as you said, sir. No mumbo jumbo, vegetarian, vegan, keto, no special modern fashon diets. I eat as everybody should eat. High protein, natural fats, tons of fibers in fruit and vegetables and sometimes I'd humor my sweet tooth with real honey or dark chocolate. The thing is, stress is the real killer. I would listen to 4 different doctors, and they all told me different which kept me up all nigh. Yes fat! No fat! Yes carbs! No carbs! Yes meat! No meat. I don't care anymore, I just use common sense and eat what I want; the amount depending on the should/shouldn't eat factor based on the Glycemic Load charts. Bone marrow soups, fat from grilled lamb, chicken skin, olive oil? I should cut that out? :ok:Hell no. I just burn it all by moving around. Or just my hips "iykwim" :cool:

3. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Loris, you are on the right track. I wouldn't call my diet true ketogenic because I dont dwell on it or pee on sticks to see if I am in ketosis. But I have gotten my body to burn fat for energy I stead of carbs. I'm a little strict with myself because I dont eat fruit due to the sugar that's in it, berries in moderation are the only exception. But I take 2 weeks a year where I eat anything I want (thanksgiving and Christmas) and then I'm back on my regular way of eating. I use stevia as a sweetener, and I even make my own ice cream with it. It's very simple real ingredients. Heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, and stevia. It's so rich and creamy and actually good for you. Stevia will not raise your blood glucose level. When I go shopping I go to the produce section, meat section, and dairy, everything else is pure crap and not good for you. I'm like you, I eat only real food. And as you said, excersize is very important, I do something everyday, 20 to 30 minutes is all it takes, a good 3 mile walk or a bike ride is a bonus.
    Now let's get back to the food!:cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    I love fish and this is one of my favorites for it
    Use your fish of choice, store bought I use cod like this. Fresh cought I prefer walleye or lake pearch. Rinse at pat dry.
    20180211_180546.jpg For a breading I use a 50/50 mix of almond flour and coconut flour.
    20180211_180554.jpg You'll need some eggs to dip the fish in.
    20180211_180928.jpg Some coconut oil, very low heat is the key to this stuff, and it's good for you!
    20180211_181222.jpg It doesn't take much to cook the fish in.
    20180211_181232.jpg Here you can see the process all set up. Dip in beaten eggs, roll in the breading mix, and then right into the pan to cook on low heat till the fish is done, dont over cook it.
    20180211_181951.jpg Slowly cooking so you dont burn the oil.
    20180211_182000.jpg Fresh squeezed lemon juice is the best.
    20180211_182339.jpg And for a little extra flavor I sometimes sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on the fish while it's still hot. Unlike deep frying you dont have to drain the excess oil because it's good for you and full of flavor.
    20180211_183733.jpg
    Bon apetit!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  5. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Yes I eat cheese burgers, just no bread. This is about 2/3 pound of 80/20 ground beef seasoned and grilled with swiss and cheddar cheese. Sliced tomatoes and guacamole with garlic and lemon juice. This is the kind of meal that stays with you and is full of healthy fats and protein. I try not to cook my burgers well, a little on the rare side is better for you.
    20180324_202959.jpg

6. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    This is how I eat on a regular basis, I dont count calories, I just eat clean, real food.
    Here we have grilled ribeye steak with sauted mushrooms and onions, I like portobello or white button mushrooms. Some guacamole and steamed brussel sprouts with real butter.
    20180526_203516.jpg A quick anytime meal, about 4 eggs, cheese, and Turkey sausage, you could use pork but I dont eat pork for spiritual reasons.
    20180601_205911.jpg A cold summer meal, hard boiled eggs, cheese, and smoked beef brisket. I like iced tea sweetened with stevia. I dont drink pop.
    20180617_175715.jpg Another one of my 1 pan favorites, ground beef spicey taco meat with sharp cheddar cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and sliced tomatoes. It's very satisfying.
    20180714_192048.jpg A typical 5 cup salad with shredded cabbage, eggs, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers, and my own home made apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing with lots of herbs.
    20180911_172411.jpg
    Do you see a pattern here? My girl and I cook together and eat very well. She has lost 70 lbs over the last 3 years and I have lost 45, but I have recently gained 10 lbs back but it is mostly due to muscle density, I'm still way leaner than I was and I eat like a pig! My blood pressure is good, sugar is good and my cholesterol is in a healthy balance.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Diagnosed with addiction by my wife..wood hoarding Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    I got worried the other day due to some possible health issues. Wife made me go get a wellness check since I haven't had one in 8 years and my insurance pays for it. I'm on week 3 with no Skoal. Stopped for 3.5 years one time and started back. Wanted to quit anyway. I never have craved it. More of a habit of having something in my lip. Anyways back on track, got my results today. Wife and I walked over to my neighbors since she's an RN. She explained everything. Great! Just need to adjust a few things but all in all, good to go. Stress from work is causing my problems.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    I felt fine until the last 2 pictures...not so hungry now. Thanks Tic.

A friend I have not seen since Christmas called me to see a Grizzly dust collector he landed. I drove the 4 miles to find he lost 75 pounds since Thanksgiving, just cut out second breakfast, snacks and meals after 8pm. I need to drop 30...

9. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    What you dont like veggies?

10. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Don't like Guac, and have problems digesting lettuce and cabbage. The second picture reminds me of cold-slaw, don't do well with vinegar...

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Oh wow! The thread is going nicely.

This summer I had no choice but to eat burgers without buns. They had extra sweet ones, so I made sacrilege and made a dual beef patty with all the condiments and two veggie beanburgers as buns. That. Was. Delicious! Especially with Jack Daniels Bbq sauce.

Interestingly enough, I can't stand avocado by its own, or in bigger chunks, but guac... I haveonly good things to say about it!

Mr.Peet you dislike all vinegar?

12. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Here's another easy one that I make a large batch of and then refrigerate so I can take it for lunches to work. I make most of my lunches on the weekend for the whole week ahead. I never eat fast food.
    Start by cooking the onions till they are translucent, then add mushrooms and cook down till they give up their water. Then add brocolli.
    20181007_180911.jpg I then put that into a baking pad or dish and cover with cheese. Then I whip up about 2 dozen eggs with heavy cream and pour that over everything.
    20181007_181616.jpg Then bake in the oven till eggs are firm and cheese is melted. Also see the chili cooking in the back? That's delicious poured over the top of the eggs.
    20190106_165800.jpg

13. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    The master of one skillet meals!
    :cool:

Sloppy Joe, only 10 times better!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    Drink apple cider vinegar straight on occasion. Like salt and vinegar potato chips, that's about it for consumption. Use it for many things.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky

Me either... Can eat a good guacamole by the bucket full. Try slicing the Avocado, squeeze a little Lemon Juice over it, then add salt and pepper to taste. Not to bad that way. Do that and toss it on a salad or a burger, and it's down right tasty.

16. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Will do... But I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. Avocados here aren't top notch...just not a thing,at least yet. The hype will catch up and with it the quality.

I adore vinegar, especially homemade apple and wine. Salads in Croatia don't go without it or olive oil. Up north pumpkin seeds oil. I might do a WIP on vinegar lol.

There is an old custom here- gravediggers drink water and vinegar mix, and wine. Both of them highly antibacterial. Never caught a cold, they say... Same applied for Hannibal's army. They packed vinegar instead as a must have item.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Kefir and spinach-farmer cheese strudel for breakfast. What more do you need?
    IMG_20190328_100445.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. Peet

First name:
    Mark
    About 6 of them....

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    I had plenty more! I was too greedy before deciding for a photoshoot

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Chili (no beans) - ain't that the ONLY way?

Public Service Announcement - obligatory warning....Warning - Legumes were harmed in the making of this chili. So if you have loved ones who are sensitive and prone to that annoying crying and whining - you might have to give them the remote and plant them in front of the TV.

Chilly weather = comfort food = chili time for Mikey.

This is not my beloved Texas Red (TR) - TR is not my wife's favorite - she likes a good thick rich chili with richness and with a depth of flavor. I developed this recipe (or as close to a recipe as I use) to her tastes and sensibilities. You can call me a lot of different names, but you can't call me dumb. Self-preservation is a hallmark of my continuing existence on this earth!!! This is also not a competition chili - there are no dumps in this "recipe" - I do those in another room in the house. "Jalapeno Mornings"!

Start out with a bunch of good ole chuckie.

Add a bunch of this stuff - and you get Mikey's "Make my wife happy" chili. Hey - who are those little beans toward the bottom. Oh, ok good, they are friends - my friends Java and Joe! They are allowed to come to the party - in fact strongly urged - no, in fact MADE to come to the party.

[​IMG]

Gotta cut them big pieces of meat into little pieces. (love my newly re-beveled Henkel twin pro slicer - slices that chuckie up like it was warm butta") Wait, what is that brown speck down there toward the bottom of the pic. Gotta figure out who that is!

Now for a nice dust bath in some seasoned flour - prior to them going swimming in some hot oil to get all tanned dark brown and tasty. Wait on the rim - Gads now there are two of them. Where are those pests coming from?

[​IMG]

And after browning - this is a b......wait.....get back you pests! Rats to you. Get away from my chili! How are you getting past my security? Oh well, I'll deal with them later. Getting back to the bowl - the bowl of browned up heaven. We could take that bowl and eat it like popcorn while watching Mary Poppins!

[​IMG]

A little sniffling and damp eyes later I have these piles. No, the damp eyes are not because of my happiness that that little boy in Polar Express that is from across the tracks finally gets his first Christmas present from Santa. Its because I resemble the "know it all" kid too much. Some more of those pests. I guess if you see one, there must be thousands! Dang it - having those in your kitchen while making chili is so degrading. I might have to go to L.A. (legumes anonymous). Bound to have some Valium of Xanex around here somewhere!

[​IMG]

All that green and white stuff goes in the pot for sweating - the veggies not me! When translucent, I dump the leftover flour from the meat in and make a Tex-Mex Roux. No pests - maybe I'm rid of them - that spraying might have helped. Did not know they made Beano in spray form!

Dump - nope, place the meat back in and mix into the veggies. Man the smells - yummy! That is what somebody might call a "Pachanga in a Pot"!

[​IMG]

After gently adding all the other ingredients - remember no dumping - this is a kitchen of all things!!!! Be civil! Time for simmering - gotta get all those flavors playing together and let that meat come to grip with its lot in life and get "take your teeth out granny" tender. Lots of kinds of chilis in....Those pest are back! Back to the chilis - lots of chili powder and dried powdered chilis go in for this depth of flavor that will have your tongue thanking you. All the other little goodies, make a richness and leave little nuances of flavor on the back of your tongue that has you asking - who was that - who was that masked kisser. She came, she kissed, she left, I yearn - and I don't even know her name!

[​IMG]

Danged pests still here

Dagnabbit, they are reproducing. I found out where they came from! From an open can of Ranch Styles in the refrig left over from making a breakfast taco Sunday Morning. They remind me of the Tribbles from Star Trek - reproducing uncontrollably. But they are not as cute. Hey stay away from my chili!!!

[​IMG]

Ok, enough is enough - the danged things are starting to climb up the pot. Time to take matters in my hand! (sound of the rustling through the "junk" drawer) Ok, where is it! Hon - do you know.....

Got it - my manually operated, dedicated, "legume eradicator". Alton would be proud - it is a multi-tasker. Lots of uses. Don't need one of them 20 ounce stud breakers for this job! I like the nimbleness and lightness of this model Say your prayers legumes!

Ok you squeamish and PETL (Persons for the Ethical Treatment of Legumes) bean-huggers - it is time for you to look away. The next two photos are not a pretty sight. But I am dedicated to preserving the sanctity of my chili. I make no apologies! and hold no hostages!

Take that

[​IMG]

There, only clean up left. Job well done. My chili is once again safe from those nasty invaders. They need to stay where they belong - the bean pot.

[​IMG]

Now that those pests are out of the way, my friends can come in for their swim.

[​IMG]

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!

• Great Post Great Post x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
Current Time: 10:38 AM