Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Food, drinks, recipes.

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Strider, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    I can post some of my recipes, but I don't have pics of them.
    My memory is too good to have to take pics of it.

:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Strider

Strider Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Loris
    I laughed hard at the legumes hammering ahahah! The restaurant in Yellowstone NP where I worked had canned chili. I despised the smell and texture because it is artificial and bland, and I had to scrubb the fat everyday... Not to mention healthy lunches tourists had... Plate full of Sysco tortilla chips ans chili. I could fell their arterys clogging hahaha!

But this seems something I might feel nostalgic to! I will definitely try it. Looks delicious!

3. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Judged the State Chili Cookoff up in ND a few years; was always interesting. If you got a lot of teams, it got REAL interesting!! Everyone would try to grab the judges' attention, and all being chili heads the first thing they wanted to add, was heat! OH MY!! One year we 28 - 29 teams, was more than a sample or two was a little spicy. Second sample in I hit one, don't know what was in it, but I never tasted a damn thing after that one except HOT! About the time I'd get the fire put out, I'd hit another that was a little spicy, and light it all back up again!!

And, no... I am not a weanie when it comes to eating hot foods. I just snacked on a 1/4 pound of Carolina Reaper Cheddar and Club Crackers. That pot of chili was ridiculous!! If I truly had to guess, someone got a little carried away with the Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce when adding ingredients.

For those that might struggle with adjusting heat in your chili, black pepper builds on you gradually, all other peppers, cayenne, jalapeno, habanero, whatever, are an immediate heat. I typically seed a jalapeno and a green chili or two, dice them up pretty good, then load it up with black pepper. You'll be half a bowl into it before you realize it's smokin!!

4. Herb G.

First name:
    Herb
    @rocky1 , I made some baked chicken one time with 6 chocolate habanero peppers I had frozen. It was so hot, my wife & I still talk about it 10 years after we ate it. Habeneros are way too hot for me. I like the flavor, but 6 of them for a pan of chicken was ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Cruel and cheeky in the same time!
    Carolina reaper? A fourth of a pound? ! Are you human? :taunt:

I recently added a rainbow Habanero to my soup and it was a hard battle to lose. Too much for ne, but I am going up the ladder. Ever since I started eating hot food, I ceased getting flue!

Now the devils cherry and habanero are in the clay pot, sprouting!

6. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Well, the cheese is of course blended to the point that it's HOT, but it's tolerable to serious chili heads. :good:

Mother-in-law had to try some of it the other night when they brought it home. Cut herself 2 - 3 slices. She is not always known for making the most intelligent of choices at times. When she got done hooting and hollering, and sucking down about 3 glasses of ice water, and a glass of wine, she decided she was glad she had only bit one little bitty corner off the cheese, and that she had sliced entirely too much of it. So the girls had to try a little bit of it too. I just sat back shaking my head.

Then of course since I had the evil cheese out last night snacking on it, it was on top of the pile of groceries in the meat and cheese drawer in the fridge, so the mother-in-law decides I must like it, and she loaded up my fried egg sandwich with it this morning without saying anything to me. It was actually pretty tolerable on the sandwich.

Bought a bottle of Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce many moons ago and carried to the bar, it was great for laughs. You could touch your finger to the top of the bottle and stick it on your tongue, and it would take 2 - 3 beers to cool it off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Hopefully the bartender gave you free beer for his sales going up after that!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I usually wound up buying a few after the tears of laughter subsided!

Brother in law came in drunk one night, had been out ice fishing all day. Not a hot sauce eater. Suggested he touch the top of the bottle and try it, someone said something behind me, I turned for a second, and he snatched the bottle up and proceed to try and shake it in his mouth. Fortunately the hole in the bottle was stopped up and nothing came out, but he touched it to his tongue about 3 - 4 times. Downed one beer, snatched the cooler door open and grabbed another, downed it, ran behind the bar and stuck his head under the faucet on the wash sink sucking up water, then grabbed a hand full of ice cubes and stuffed in his mouth while they were fixing him a large glass of ice water.

We were all falling of our flipping bar stools. And, he was stone cold sober before he got the fire put out.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Hahahah! Nice stories, especially the mother in law. I expected her to eat it because you like it, in spite... you know... for her being your m. i. l.

The States are big with sauces, but sadly I was introduced to original and green Tabasco, none of which I like. It changes the flavor, I do not like the taste. Hotness is not an issue here.

Today I was a lazy sob, so I decided for sone palenta and bolognese sauce. Not pasta or rice, I am fed up with them.
    Palenta is the best thing for no brainer meals. Just add a dash of olive oil before pouring it in the boiling water and milk.

I eat it with cream cheese (Philadelphia baby!) or just cold milk in a bowl. Try it. Jogurt too! 10 min maximum cooking time for a couple days worth of food. IMG_20190329_130535.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    Fresh dose of kefir and two bottles of kamboocha! Black and green tea, sugar and the kamboocha culture. Three to seven days of fermenting and she's supposed to be ready!
    15541261791095492490091622755224.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  11. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    15541265367541730938967902737657.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Strider

First name:
    Loris
    And no, thet is not a dried turd in front, that is carob!

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Herb G.

First name:
    Herb
    Here's a butt simple recipe.
    Go to your local deli & get some 4 to 5 inch wide beef bologna.
    Have them slice off a hunk about 6" long.
    You need wide beef bologna for it to turn out right. It needs to cover the bread & hang over a bit.
    The pre-sliced stuff in the plastic package is NOT the right stuff to make this dish properly.

Slice off a hunk as thick as your thumb, notch it once, like a Pac man.
    Put a little olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the bologna until slightly brown on both sides.

Get yourself some decent white bread, and a little mustard. I like spicy brown mustard myself.
    If you want to be decadent, add a slice of yellow cheese & melt it on the fried bologna.
    Make yourself a nice fried bologna sammich.

(Us electricians call it carpenter's steak, BTW.)

You know you haven't had one in years. :good2:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  14. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I loved fried garlic bologna sandwiches when I was a kid.

15. Graybeard

Graybeard Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    One summer we planted six different types of hot peppers. In the fall we took one of each and made the exact same amount of scrambled eggs and added the same amount of peppers to each. It was amazing the difference in heat levels, how long it took to kick in and where you felt the heat. Some on the lips right away and some in the back of your throat etc. Interesting plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    And then when your wife is out of town, nothing good is on the tube, it's dark and you can't cut the grass, and your're bored and you just have to build something - then there is the:
    [​IMG]

I ain't a corntracter fer nuthin!

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  17. Mike Hill

First name:
    Mike
    ......OR......

18. Mike Hill

First name:
    Mike
    bologna2.jpg

19. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Actually if you live in the right places, you can walk into the convenience store and pick them up in the deli section. The big town of Fargo GA population about 250 maybe, they make them just as you described, and they're on the deli shelf daily. Half inch of fried bologna, little cheese, on white bread, mustard optional in the little packet.

The difference in property is endless, and yes, they do all vary just a little. Have a gentleman that comes up to buy honey from us whose neighbor grew some Carolina Reaper peppers and wanted him to make sauce. He did an excellent job on it, but said in the process, there fumes coming it off put this in the hospital. Thought he was having a heart attack. They can be dangerous.

20. Herb G.

First name:
    Herb
    True story.
    I had a neighbor from Ethiopia a long time ago. He always bragged about how hot the peppers were in Africa.
    He bragged he ate the hottest peppers on the planet, etc.
    I gave him a Red Savina Habanero that I grew once & told him to be careful when he ate it.
    I warned him vigorously about how hot it was.
    His reply: "Yeah, yeah, I eat hot stuff all the time."

About an hour after I gave it to him, his wife called me and asked why I poisoned her husband.
    I told her he wasn't poisoned, he was being burned by the hottest pepper on the planet at the time.
    I told her to give him a glass of milk & some yogurt & he'd be fine.

About 2 weeks later, I ran into him & asked how that pepper was.
    He never uttered a syllable, and walked away shaking his head.
    He also never bragged about eating the hottest peppers on Earth ever again either.
    :thanx2:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
Current Time: 5:02 PM