• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

For inspiration

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I don't know any woodcarvers around here. There is a club or two around, but my wife suggests to me that I should not be a joiner. To see what others do and just to find inspirations and skills to aspire to, I found this publication a couple of decades ago. I get giddy when I see it in the mailbox. I have no connection to the NWCA other than being a member so I can get the Chip Chats magazine. Few how-to's but more information about clubs and their show-and-tell meetings and contests and other events AND lots of pictures of completed projects. With the china virus complications, many clubs have not met in a while and that is hurting membership and stuff to report on.
1615996199808.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have a neighbor who carved quite a bit until he got his lathe. He ran a pen turning hobby/business for some time now. He just got a cnc for christmas so...

And that tells the story for a lot of carvers. Cnc can do it so quickly that it is frustrating handcarving skills.

I have carved a few pieces, even did a commission or two. Wasnt a business. just for fun. That looks like something I have bought a copy of a couple times.

Mike Hill

The Bard of Barbecue
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Or if you do it for a business you also don't get paid squat. Talking to a guy the other day who was a stone sculptor/carver on the National Cathederal project in Washington DC. As a skilled and experienced sculptor/carver he started at $7.50/hr and by the end of the project he was making $11.00/hr. He had to do a job waiting tables at night to make ends meet.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Or if you do it for a business you also don't get paid squat. Talking to a guy the other day who was a stone sculptor/carver on the National Cathederal project in Washington DC. As a skilled and experienced sculptor/carver he started at $7.50/hr and by the end of the project he was making $11.00/hr. He had to do a job waiting tables at night to make ends meet.
@Mike Hill Thank you for posting the picture of the carving. Beautiful!
So: I don't mean to be "that guy," but this thread has certainly taken a turn toward the less inspirational side. Just sayin'... :ponder:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I remember this magazine from Dad. He tried carving and chip carving; have a few pieces of each of his. He did mostly geometric chip carving. His other carvings amazed me as he had never shown any type of creativeness like that. I am glad he tried so many different things in retirement!!!!

There you go Mike, making me miss dad again. That‘s okay; every time I tie a fly I think of him and been doing a lot of that this year!!