For inspiration

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I don't know any woodcarvers around here. There is a club or two around, but my wife suggests to me that I should not be a joiner. To see what others do and just to find inspirations and skills to aspire to, I found this publication a couple of decades ago. I get giddy when I see it in the mailbox. I have no connection to the NWCA other than being a member so I can get the Chip Chats magazine. Few how-to's but more information about clubs and their show-and-tell meetings and contests and other events AND lots of pictures of completed projects. With the china virus complications, many clubs have not met in a while and that is hurting membership and stuff to report on.
1615996199808.png

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have a neighbor who carved quite a bit until he got his lathe. He ran a pen turning hobby/business for some time now. He just got a cnc for christmas so...

And that tells the story for a lot of carvers. Cnc can do it so quickly that it is frustrating handcarving skills.

I have carved a few pieces, even did a commission or two. Wasnt a business. just for fun. That looks like something I have bought a copy of a couple times.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or if you do it for a business you also don't get paid squat. Talking to a guy the other day who was a stone sculptor/carver on the National Cathederal project in Washington DC. As a skilled and experienced sculptor/carver he started at $7.50/hr and by the end of the project he was making $11.00/hr. He had to do a job waiting tables at night to make ends meet.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Or if you do it for a business you also don't get paid squat. Talking to a guy the other day who was a stone sculptor/carver on the National Cathederal project in Washington DC. As a skilled and experienced sculptor/carver he started at $7.50/hr and by the end of the project he was making $11.00/hr. He had to do a job waiting tables at night to make ends meet.
@Mike Hill Thank you for posting the picture of the carving. Beautiful!
So: I don't mean to be "that guy," but this thread has certainly taken a turn toward the less inspirational side. Just sayin'... :ponder:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I remember this magazine from Dad. He tried carving and chip carving; have a few pieces of each of his. He did mostly geometric chip carving. His other carvings amazed me as he had never shown any type of creativeness like that. I am glad he tried so many different things in retirement!!!!

There you go Mike, making me miss dad again. That‘s okay; every time I tie a fly I think of him and been doing a lot of that this year!!