Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Form-Opinions on shape

Discussion in 'Turning Critique Forum' started by Bean_counter, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Bean_counter

Bean_counter Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Michael
    I’m wanting to move into more art and decor pieces. With that I would like your opinion on the shape of this one. I will add a finial as well on the top likely in black. Thanks for the critique

38EADE86-222C-45F9-BF4B-85C7CEC72C59.jpeg Thanks

• Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  2. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    :good2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Imo a smaller base would be more appealing and into that "art" realm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Karl_TN

Karl_TN Member Full Member

First name:
    Karl
    Got any pics from a higher angle?

If the vase's main wood is unusual then also consider just adding a small collar of a contrasting wood or a small finial on top so the main focus stays on the vase itself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Looks interesting but definitely needs something on top to draw the attention up. Better light and a nice finish will make it scream as well.

6. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Are you going to embelish the cracks?

7. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    There's so much subjectivity in "art", so it's hard to give anything other than opinion/random thoughts...

I like that form, especially with a finial. The shoulder/wide point might be a little high for a form without a finial, but I like the higher shoulder on forms with finials.

I like to make a little upturn near the opening on most form... I find it helps me blend the top of the form into the base of the lid/finial.

I tend to tuck the bottom of hollow forms a little more, but I know other folks who like the more squared off base. You gotta ask your muse on that one...

Looking forward to seeing that one with a finial and some finish!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Albert Kiebert

Albert Kiebert Member Full Member

First name:
    Albert
    What David said plus perhaps a little smaller/thinner below the shoulder all the way to a smaller foot. Looks real nice! Are you filling or just cleaning up the cracks ?

9. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Karl I’ll add some more pics tomorrow and tag you. I did make a finial and in the process of dying it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Rock! I made a finial today and dyed it black so waiting for that to dry

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Rip I filled them with dust didn’t want something to Stand out to much as the olive has nice figure and didn’t want to take away from that

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Doc. I am in the process of making a finial as I completely agree with that assessment. I’m going to post more pics as
    I honestly think the base is smaller and turned in more than what the one pic shows. Finish wise I was thinking lacquer

13. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thanks Albert. I will def look into the shoulder but think it might be the pic that shows it wider but I’m not sure. I’ll post up more pics for everyone to see tomorrow. I filled the crack with dust but plan on leaving them the way they are. The olive has nice figure and don’t want to take away from that

• Like Like x 1
  14. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Like folks have already said, form, and art, is very subjective and personal. It took me a lot of turnings to settle on what I liked best personally, none of the early shapes were terrible, but some were pretty clunky. The shoulders are a little too sharp on yours for my taste, and the sides a little too straight. But it is really a nice piece and some buyer will love it I'm sure. The size of the foot looks about right IMO. It is kinda of a balance, smaller foot = artsier look, larger foot =more stable and practical. In the past I usually made my decision on shapes by what was the largest thing I could make from a given piece of wood, I try to fight that urge now, and go more for form. Sounds like you're getting into making decor pieces for sales now, which is what I've been doing for a few years, here are a couple of things I have learned, wormy, natural edge, generally gnarly things sell at least 2 to 1 better than refined and perfect things, and are less labor intensive, stick some turquoise in there and they sell even better. I would probably not put turquoise in the one you show, cause there are too many cracks to fill, but otherwise I would indeed. I'm not a fanatic for turquoise, but I have yielded to the wishes of the consumer on it.... good luck and keep em coming!

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    I presume it is or will be hollowed? You probably need to figure out who your audience, that is, who are you making the art forms for. Like Barry said, yield to the consumer if you want to maximize sales. Chuck

16. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Okay guys here is some more pics and views. Also is the finial I turned for it without the ebony dye.

6935A3C7-1AFF-49B3-90CC-38A83F2820D2.jpeg 832BB804-B7D1-4686-98B3-39DF8AE96332.jpeg 3DC6FDE8-5907-47E8-B056-D54633D55AAB.jpeg 5D37AF4B-7FFE-4370-8FBA-98EDCD36AAA3.jpeg 9611C627-0EEE-4784-A90C-6459D35EFF24.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  17. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Thank you! Yes it is hollow. 1/8” walls

18. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    If you haven't already, you might want to run a seal coat of lacquer over it, then fill your cracks, to keep your CA from staining around the cracks Bean. Especially if you're already down to 1/8" thick; you can't afford a lot of sanding to clean those spots up. Finial looks nice, doesn't look overly large, nice form to it in my book. Was measuring on my computer screen last night and the base is pretty close to 1/3 the widest point of the vessel. That first picture you posted was a little deceiving with the contrast in what it was sitting on, going out to clear blue sky. A little sparkle from finish on the wide point, finish is going to make all those subtle shades in that olive pop, and she's gonna be very pleasing to the eye with that ebony stained finial on top. Somewhere in Lubbock there is some woman with lots of money going to love it! Unfortunately... That may be your wife!

19. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I’d consider just making a collar for it... see if you like the collar or finial better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bean_counter

First name:
    Michael
    Doc what would be an appropriate height for the collar?

Current Time: 11:52 AM