Forstner bit Sharpening?

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
Howdy all! Anyone have leads on a good jig or set of tools to make Forstner sharpening a breeze? I have a set a honing cards and a triangular file I can do a fair job by hand, but after 5 or 6 sharpenings I can see that I'm rounding the edge and the point develops a slight wobble so I know I'm getting off center. I've searched around and haven't found any services to sharpen Forstner bits or guides or tools. I could just buy more, but I hate to just recycle the steel when it seems like there should be life left in it.

Is everyone just sharpening by hand? Thanks!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I use forstners mostly to drill the initial hole in hollow forms, mostly endgrain, so I abuse the heck out of them. I dont care so much about the precision of the them as how fast they cut. I present the cutting surface of the bit on the flat side of the grinding wheel on my grinder, and touch it just enough to freshen the edge, I will try and get a pic when I go out to the shop...

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Howdy all! Anyone have leads on a good jig or set of tools to make Forstner sharpening a breeze? I have a set a honing cards and a triangular file I can do a fair job by hand, but after 5 or 6 sharpenings I can see that I'm rounding the edge and the point develops a slight wobble so I know I'm getting off center. I've searched around and haven't found any services to sharpen Forstner bits or guides or tools. I could just buy more, but I hate to just recycle the steel when it seems like there should be life left in it.

Is everyone just sharpening by hand? Thanks!
I have a local shop sharpen mine. Look around your area for a carbide shop they should be able to hook ya up.

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
I lock them in a vice to keep them steady and go at it with a diamond file . Two hands on the file and hold it firmly.

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a local shop sharpen mine. Look around your area for a carbide shop they should be able to hook ya up.
Thanks! I'll keep looking. You'd think that in a big city like LA there would be more options. I've only found one shop that will handle my router bits and they don't do Forstner. There are 3 professional barber scissor and clippers sharpeners within 5 miles of me. I may reach out to them to see if they are interested. Plus I need a haircut. :ponder:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
If they can do your router bits they can also do the forstener... they just must not wanna

TVmaker

Reaction score
First name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If they can do your router bits they can also do the forstener... they just must not wanna
Yeah, I think you're right. Based on their pricing structure, I'm guess that most of their business is industrial. When you offer a price break at 25 or more 12'' saw blades, you're probably not very excited to see me stroll up with a dozen forstner bits in my pocket. :cowboy: