Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Found a time capsule yesterday...

Discussion in 'Kenbo's Chat Room' started by Herb G., May 29, 2019.

1. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Herb
    Well, kind of anyway. I still do side work now & then for people I know well. (I am a retired electrician, BTW.)
    So, I get a call over the weekend & I was asked to go look at a building around the corner from me to see if it can be rehabilitated into a new business. It is nothing to look at, just part of a 3 store strip center.

It was a business machine repair place back in the day. It's been closed since we moved in here back in 2003.
    There was an old sign in the filthy front window that said "Typewriter Repairs".
    Another said "Authorized Adco Dealer." I don't know what Adco sold, but they're out of business today.

Anyway, I met the agent there & we went thru the place to check it out yesterday. There was a small front counter, and a big workroom behind a door in the lobby.
    The lobby had a small glass display cabinet still full of IBM Selectric typewriter font balls in their original packaging. Remember those changeable steel balls for different fonts, anyone?
    The power was turned off who knows when, so we had to use flashlights to walk around in there. Dust was 3" thick on everything, but I could see a lot of parts drawers on steel racks, workbenches, various tool chests, and other office equipment stacked everywhere.

It was a time capsule for sure. Old manual typewriters, manual adding machines, postage scales, you name it, it was strewn all over the place. I found out the owner died back in 1989, and this place had been sitting there empty ever since. I'm sure it was a busy shop at some point, but it's been out of business for a long, long time too.
    The bones of the building were fine, but since the power was turned off by the power company, I couldn't say what kind of shape the electrical system was in.
    I should have taken my camera, but I didn't expect to find what I did. It was so dark in there, they probably wouldn't have come out anyway. I always wondered what was inside that building every time I've driven by it, now I know.
    Still, it was pretty cool to see a little piece of history just sitting there.

:whatever:

• Way Cool Way Cool x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    American Pickers likes to find places like this. Wonder if owner wants to dispose of anything. Chuck

3. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Herb
    @Nature Man

I don't know who owns the building, but I imagine they are going to throw out everything if the building gets sold.

4. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    old workbenches, cabinets, and such are great finds...........wow. And you are probably right, they will probably just go to a dumpster. So sad. I know exactly what those font balls are. My mom was able to get one of those selectrics when her boss upgraded the office where she worked. I learned to type on that thing and so glad she encouraged me to learn to type.....not the fastest, but I can do it!!!

5. NeilYeag

NeilYeag Member Full Member

First name:
    Neil
    When I was in high school kids in the "academic" curriculum (those intending to go to college) were required to take Typing Class. Of course I screwed around and never did it. So I had to go to summer school the summer after graduation to take this class before they would give me my diploma. All old manual typewriters back then. I freaking hated that class. Kept looking at the keys so the bitch teacher gave me the machine that had the letters blacked out so you couldn't "cheat"... But eventually got to the point I could type fairly well. I kept and used my moms old manual for years and years, don't remember the brand but the big ole heavy thing. Freaking keys would get stuck or the ribbon would twist around but got the assignments and term papers done some how!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    When I was in High School I had to take a typing class also. It was a small private school, 61 kids in my class. Not much money, we had manual typewriters with liquid paper over the faces of the keys. Fun stuff......

• Like Like x 1
  7. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Never took a typing class, went into a management position with 2 computers on my desk, and had not a clue how to keyboard. Had one of the big IBM Selectric typewriters mentioned, used it to address envelopes back in those days as it was simply easier than dealing with it on my printer. Used to wonder how in the world it knew what part of the ball to turn to, and I was hunting and pecking at that point.

After 14 years of letters, reports, bookkeeping, checking controls, etc. etc. I came out typing right at 50 words a minute. Still can't read anything laying on the table beside me and type it, have a tough time with it hanging beside my monitor, but I could smoke my office assistant on Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing! And, I can sit here and type a whole post while watching TV, with fewer errors than my smart phone injects, with me staring at it.

• Great Post Great Post x 1
  8. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Now that would be cool to have one of those in a window in my house. Like a disco ball in the sun. :)

9. Johnturner

Johnturner Proud Member Full Member

First name:
    John
    The small Catholic school I went to did not have typing class so my mother made me and my brother take typing at night at the public school. Not exactly a touch typer but I can find the keys fast while pecking.

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 9:40 PM