Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Four is my Limit! And a pen...

Discussion in 'Turners' Completed Projects' started by Diver Temple, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Diver Temple

Diver Temple Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mo
    So when a bowl blows apart 4 times, 2 catches and 2 ??, and hits me in the face 3 times, I figure it just doesn't want to be a bowl! Frankenbowl was one of the first bowls that blew out on a catch back in January, started in August 2000 by my dad, it was very dry and brittle black acacia. I glued the chunks back in and tried again. I don't think my tool sharpening was so good back then, a tool must have caught a crack I didn't seal up...BAM Into the bench, then my face shield and off to the back of the garage. Used 2 part epoxy and put it all back together and stuck it on the shelf and forgot about until today.
    Frankenbowl.jpg
    Being very careful, keeping tools nice and sharp with a good bur, I had the outside cleaned up pretty good when the wife decided she needed to talk to me right then...concentration broken, back to the lathe, tool moves towards the bowl, BAM! into the bench, into the face shield, off to the back of garage...glue back together, CA a few new cracks, can't find a small piece out of the lip, but ok, back to work. Outside can wait until the inside is cleaned up, it;s getting thinner and thinner, so time and careful scraping continues until the inside is looking good. Daughter comes out, wants to know if I want lunch, do I look like I am hungry? Covered in wood chips and sweat, sharp tools in my hand, lathe and dust collector running, no I am not hungry! LOL. Back to the disaster unfolding in front of me...two passes with a bowl gouge to clean up the CA and blend in the edges of the cracks...BAM, shrapnel in the face shield, but bowl remains turning like a psycho finger eating machine with a large piece blown out again.
    Frankenbowl1.jpg Frankenbowl2.jpg
    CA and repeat...BAM shrapnel and bowl to the bench, then into the face shield, and you guessed it, off to the back of the garage.
    20191012_140611.jpg
    Well, every break was a new break, so my CA and epoxy skills are not in question, but somewhere along the line I found the wrong place to catch an edge on this thing...So I made a pen from brown dyed stab buckeye burl. Time for dinner and some single malt!!! :whatever::wacko:

Western 10-12-19.jpg Western1 10-12-19.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. trc65

trc65 Member Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Fantastic looking pen!

As to the bowl, you have a lot more perseverance than I do. Glad you had a face shield on and nothing was injured.

Question for those more experienced than I - might a tight wrap of tape/shrink wrap done anything to keep it together?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eric Rorabaugh

Eric Rorabaugh Member Full Member

First name:
    Eric
    Wow, what a day. I agree with Tim on the perseverance. I would have probably got PO'd and slung it in the firewood bin after the first time. Beautiful pen!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Mills

Mike Mills Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Bummer it happened. Where were you standing to get a ricochet four times?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    I've had similar experiences with bowls, but your story tops any problems I've had! Almost think you should be an author on the side! In any event, the pen sure turned out nice! Chuck

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    Wow,I agree I’d have thrown it across the garage and made sure it wasn’t going to be put back together. Very nice pen,I like the cowboy theme,haven’t made one yet.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    It's good to practice gluing up. I've done it a few times, and my buddy asked me why not just toss it? Uh ...because I have too many hours into it already. I wouldn't sell it after anyhow, nor give it away. It would be a shelf queen somewhere in my house.

1004181600_HDR.jpg
    1004181613_HDR.jpg
    1009181508b_HDR.jpg

My wife loves it. so now it's a bread bowl.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    I was in front, working the lip. Different tool each time but pretty much the same place on the bowl. RIght handed and trying to be gentle put me in closer than when I am roughing it out. Last one I was going to contour out the last of the gouge from the catch in Jan. apparently it didn't like the way I was looking at it...

9. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    I have a couple of bowls that needed some ER work. They like their spots in the house. I have enough left of this one that it will be come a shallow bowl/plate. I think my dad made the tenon too short so it pops out. Will use the tailstock and trim it down to a new shape, love the wood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  10. William Tanner

William Tanner Member Full Member

First name:
    William
    Did I hear single malt? :yummy: Life is good. And a very nice pen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    How bout some 53 year old Canadian whisky?

1001191402_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  12. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    I imagine it will be a big moment for you when you crack the seal on that! I am settling for Lagavulin 16 yr old, like the peat and smoke... :drinks3:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Yea, I'm hoping a good occasion to crack er open happens soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gdurfey

Gdurfey Member Full Member

First name:
    Garry
    The pen is fabulous. Nope, my patience would have been gone, but then again, if it were a piece my dad started, well, that might change the game. Gee I miss him......

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  15. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Don't want to bust yer bubble, but it quits aging when they put it in the bottle. It's the barrel that imparts flavor and makes it smoother, glass and time don't do anything for it.

Gals at the bar up in ND were cleaning house one day and found a 40 year old bottle of Canadian Whiskey in a presentation box, kinda like that one. Told them to let me research it before we opened it. Was a respectable bottler, mid-grade blended whiskey, nothing real fancy, but 40 year old unbroken seal and the original presentation box,aaa it was worth $50 or so. They decided it probably didn't cost $5 back when it was bought, and they didn't feel like dealing with selling it, so we popped the top to see how good it was. Tasted like Blended Canadian Whiskey, it wasn't special. So I researched aging whiskey too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  16. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    I know this feeling all too well...
    IMG_0731.jpg
    The pieces I could find after the blow-up.
    IMG_0732.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diver Temple

First name:
    Mo
    Yep, not better with age after it's bottled, but finding something aged 40-50 years, you can only hope it was at the top of its game when bottled. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Yep, I know. But how often does a person have a chance at tasing something that's older than they are? lol
    Not to mention, they don't sell this stuff anymore here. But they do online.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    That stuff we had was only available on occasion on eBay. Company had closed the doors 20 years earlier, but there were a few presentation boxes of it still floating around.

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 9:51 PM