Free aspen

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I think I screwed up and used the forbidden words "does anyone want ...". I just got an alert a moderator deleted my earlier post. I apologize, wasn't trying to sell anyone anything. I'll just be cutting down a couple aspen trees and offering some or all to anyone who wants any. If they do I'll try to save some and coat the ends with sealer. Otherwise it's all going to the landfill.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I think I screwed up and used the forbidden words "does anyone want ...". I just got an alert a moderator deleted my earlier post. I apologize, wasn't trying to sell anyone anything. I'll just be cutting down a couple aspen trees and offering some or all to anyone who wants any. If they do I'll try to save some and coat the ends with sealer. Otherwise it's all going to the landfill.
Is it good for firewood? Just curious. I don't have any experience with Aspen. Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure. I think people in Colorado burned aspen. I doubt it's the hottest fire or the longest lasting. Probably doesn't produce a lot of creosote or soot. I don't have a fire place so that's not an option for me either. But at least the HOA will haul most of it away - might as well get something for my annual dues.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I'm not sure. I think people in Colorado burned aspen. I doubt it's the hottest fire or the longest lasting. Probably doesn't produce a lot of creosote or soot. I don't have a fire place so that's not an option for me either. But at least the HOA will haul most of it away - might as well get something for my annual dues.
Been heating the house the last 3 days with Quaking aspen. Has a lower BTU than many hardwoods, better than willows and cleaner than pines. I usually mix some in with firewood sales to add color and smells.

Doug, what species of 'aspen' are you taking down?

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I'm sorry, Mark, I really don't know. There were 6 full grown aspens on the upper end of our driveway when we bought this house. We've lost 4 of them now - down to one on each side. Are you looking for one kind in particular? Send me some ID details and I'll see if I can identify what I do have. Unfortunately, they won't leaf out before I take them down in April.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I'm sorry, Mark, I really don't know. There were 6 full grown aspens on the upper end of our driveway when we bought this house. We've lost 4 of them now - down to one on each side. Are you looking for one kind in particular? Send me some ID details and I'll see if I can identify what I do have. Unfortunately, they won't leaf out before I take them down in April.
Not really enough time to do so, sorry.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I've only worked with a little of it, but Aspen can have some nice color variation.

20230309_090624.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
For sure if I see some character in them I'll try to save some pieces. The first couple we cut down were just blond wood. I did make a flower pot holder for my wife from one section. Pain in the rear trying to hollow that thing out with a spade bit and a chisel.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
I got some aspen squirreled away somewhere. Get the colors or it takes dye real well as well as stabilizing.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
It is a soft wood similar to cottonwood./poplar. I have turned and carved a few things from it. I was.talking to a guy at the last craft show I was at. him and his father make drug store indians, he said their preferred wood for it was aspen, carves nice and doesn't crack much.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
To add to that, aspen is the best wood I have found for Ukibori (lots of stuff on it on google) Here is a piece I used the technique on.... The body is aspen, it was white all the way through, maybe a little bit of brown at the pith, cant remember... Also, Aspen burl is amazing, I have not worked with it, but have seen beautiful stuff made from it, I think @Courtland has turned some... 100_1511.JPG

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Also don't see where anyone has mentioned the thin turned oil soaked semi translucent thing in Aspen. Kinda like they do for NIP ... Rumored to turn out cool with a nice light behind em. Makes me think our hat makers could likely turn a darn tootin lampshade...

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've used aspen lots of times........well.......maybe not like youse do.........but...........in a smoker.........under salmon or trout...........

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Barry mentioned aspen burl. This is an aspen burl sliding ring reel seat I put on a bamboo 5 wt...

reelseatplusferrules.jpg

Last edited: