Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Free Woodworking Books

Discussion in 'Woodworking-Related Items For Sale, Trade, or WTB' started by FranklinWorkshops, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Larry
    Is there a place on the site to offer free woodworking books. My shelves are sagging and need help. I just want to find them a new home and will give them away if someone is willing to pay the media rate mailing fee. Also have hundreds of woodworking magazines but those can't go at media mail rates.

The only thing I ask is that whoever wants them must use them personally or give them to a woodworker to use. No re-selling, in other words.

• Sincere Sincere x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Larry, I moved the thread here. Great gesture by the way, people like you doing nice things like this are what keep our forum a great place to be!
    Maybe list some of the titles, or take a picture of the books where we could read the titles. I would certainly be interested in them! Tony

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Interested :popcorn:

4. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    I would definitely be interested as well, post up a list!

5. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Thanks Tony. Because of copyright laws on books currently in print, I can take only a photo of the cover and then give a link to the Amazon site where it's being sold. There you can read all about the book and usually see some of the contents. Some of my books are very old and not in print so I do have more liberty to show their contents. Mags are also easier and I can scan their covers and contents listing. We'll ease into it to judge the interest.

To get things going, here is a reprint of a very old book first published in the early 1700s. It is spiral bound and shows 195 pages of architectural design elements used in Roman, Greek and other buildings, furniture and houses. Most of these patterns were followed by builders and early furniture makers in England and the USA. I was given this book as part of a course I took many years ago under the guidance of Mack Headley, the master cabinet maker at Colonial Williamsburg. This book was reprinted for personal use only and reproductions of the book are prohibited. I no longer need this book since I've now built all the furniture I intend to build. Here are just a few pages.

Attached Files:

6. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
  7. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
  8. Schroedc

First name:
    Colin
    @FranklinWorkshops - Any of the Tom Fidgen books? I have one, looking for some of the others.

9. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    This next one was written by Jim Stack: "Design your Own Furniture... from Concept to Completion" I didn't find it on Amazon so its probably out of print. Here are some photos of the book.

IMG_1403.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3186.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3187.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3188.jpeg

IMG_1407.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  10. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    I don't think so but I have hundreds so maybe I do. I will look out for them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Larry, that is a generous offer. I would certainly be interested in books that represent the following styles: Stickley, Arts & Crafts, Craftsman, Shaker.

12. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Thanks for your kindness! Would it be possible to publish a list of what you have, vice individual books? Chuck

13. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Let me work on that. The four books offered today were in my way and they are going first. I have maybe 50 -100 books that will be offered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  14. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    I do have some in these categories, especially Shaker. Stay tuned. I'll ring your bell when they are coming up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  15. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Colin,
    I was not familiar with Tom Fidgen and looked him up. Just watched some YouTube videos he did. Interesting guy. I found that he has a channel on YouTube.
    Thanks for putting me on to him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Schroedc

First name:
    Colin
    You're quite welcome. He was apparently a guest speaker at one of the saw seminars where I work in the past and my boss loaned me one of his books.

• Like Like x 1
  17. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    @FranklinWorkshops ,
    Larry,
    I too am interested, especially in book Thay have to do with box making.
    I am looking for books on carving for my grandson.
    Thanks for your generosity a REAL. Wood Bater type of move.
    Dave

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Thanks for the responses so far. I've been very busy this week with the major snow storm and trying to fill orders from my Etsy store. I've not been able to prepare a complete list of the books I plan to give away. That being said, here are eight more I pulled off the shelf last night:

"Painting American Folk Art" by Andy B Jones. This is a great heavily illustrated book on tole painting all kinds of objects including furniture.

"The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Working in Wood... Tools, Methods, Materials and Classic Construction" By Ernest Scott. This is a classic book that is a must read for new woodworkers or us old guys that have forgotten what we used to know. Taken by Dave V.A.

"Furniture Mouldings... Full size sections of moulded details on English Furniture from 1574 to 1820" by E J Warne. This book has over a thousand detailed illustrations of every type of moulding and how it's constructed and used on the furniture we now go to museums to see.

"The Wood Wright's Companion... Exploring Traditional Woodcraft" by Roy Underhill. This book is based on his PBS series and is a joy to read. It has lots of information about how our settlers worked to build everything they had without a 3 horse power motor attached to it. Taken by Dave V.A.

And this one is for David Van Asperen to consider: "Boxes and Chests... How to make and decorate 15 traditional country projects" by Alan and Gill Bridgewater.
    This has hundreds of illustrations on box-making techniques. Taken by Dave V.A.

"Carving Architectural Detail in Wood... the Classical Tradition" by Frederich Wilbur. This has many illustrations of carving techniques. This is an autographed copy from the author who I met many years ago. Great guy who was a master wood carver. Taken by Dave V. A.

"Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Choosing and Installing Hardware" by Robert J. Settich. As Taunton Press always does, this book is crammed full of photos of techniques and how to use many different hinges, slides and pulls. Taken by Dave V.A.

"Classic Finishing Techniques" by Sam Allen. This has one of the best illustrated how-to guides to French Polishing and other finishing methods.

Let me know if you want one or more of these and I can start a box with your name on it. I plan to list many, many more in the coming days so I can save the ones you want until you say to ship it. Your only cost will be for the actual media mail postage which I will invoice to you thru PayPal at the time of shipment. Again, please don't sell these... use them yourself or give to another woodworker who will use them. It's the responsibility of us old guys to enable the next few generations to enjoy the craft and hobby we've learned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  19. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
  20. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    Larry,
    I would really like you to start a box for me.
    There are a number of them I would really appreciate having , they are
    The Wood Wrights Companion

Boxes and Chests
    Carving Architectural Detail in Wood
    The Illustrated Encylopediaof Working in Wood
    Taunton Complete Illustrated Guide to Choosing and In stalling Hardware
    Thanks so much for the generous offer and I will wait a bit to see if there are otters, but also want others to have a chance as well
    Dave

Current Time: 7:29 AM