Free Woodworking Books

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad they are going to a good home. I have marked the list above with your name and made the text bold. I think I got all of them marked for you but check me.
I will start a box with your name. There will be a new and much larger list coming out over the weekend. More carving books that might be good for your grandson will be coming. My wife is doing her "happy dance" now that I've finally agreed to downsize my library.

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
Thank you and will be watching for the new list
Dave
I should add that if any of those who expressed interest in books before me want any of the ones I indicated I will defer to you as per our rules you have the first shot at them. This rule has worked
Well and I respect your position and accept my spot on the list

Last edited:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Here is today's list of other books I would like to go to a new home:

“The Country Home” by Time-Life Publications. This is large book of country home decorating photos. It shows many good projects you might want to build but there’s no methods or drawings, just photos.

“Country Furniture” by Time-Life Publications. Photos of very nice furniture built in the late 1700s to late 1800s. This is a good book for ideas on what to build. It does not have construction drawings or dimensions.

“American Country Furniture… Projects from the Workshops of David T. Smith. This was written by Nick Engler and Mary Jane Favorite. Lots of measured drawings in this book and well worth reading. Over 400 pages of furniture and how to make them.

“The Gentleman & Cabinet-Maker’s Director” by Thomas Chippendale. First printed in 1762 in England, this book was the pattern book for many early cabinetmakers in America as well as England. This is a re-print of the third edition of this very important book showing hundreds of drawings and construction patterns. Taken by Ken

A three volume set titled "Shop Drawings of Shaker Furniture & Woodware" by Ejner Handberg. Lots of drawing and plans with measurements in these small paperbacks. Taken by Ken

“The Forgotten Arts & Crafts…Skills from the Bygone Days” by John Seymour. This big book shows how things were done in the old days and features lots of woodworking methods. A fun book to read. Taken by David V Asperen

“The Art of the Painted Finish for Furniture & Decoration” by Isabel O’Neil. It’s a book on antiquing, lacquering, gilding and faux finishes and how to do them with modern materials and tools.

“American Painted Furniture 1660-1880” by Dean A Fales, Jr. and Robert Bishop. This is a classic that I found at a library sale years ago. Has hundred of photos and drawings of
painted furniture but no construction methods, plans or measurements. A nice reference book.

“Picture Framing & Wall Display… Fabrics, collections, crafts, photographs” by Sunset Books. This is a good how-to-do-it book on framing with lots of construction methods, drawings and techniques.

“Baths and Kitchens” by Fine Homebuilding. This shows how to do many woodworking and well as other projects like plumbing around the home. Like all publications from Taunton Press, this we a very well-done book.

“The Manual of Veneering” by Paul Villiard. A book published in 1968 and is a good intro to veneering.

“The Art of Marquetry” by Craig Vandall Stevens. Has many illustrated step-by-step instructions on how to create photos from wood veneers. A very nice book on this subject. Taken by Ken

“Celebrating our 90th Anniversary” by Israel Sack Inc. This book shows full color photos and discusses a hundred or more pieces of furniture that played a significant part of their history in acquiring and selling antiques.

“American Furniture 1620 to the Present” by Jonathan L. Fairbanks and Elizabeth Bidwell Bates. A 600 page tome showing hundreds of pieces of furniture and a discussion of each piece’s history and use. The photos are mostly of documented pieces and give the maker’s name and location. This is a very good history book on American furniture and the evolution of styles.

“Handcrafted Cabinetry… Professional Designs and Practical Techniques” by Robert A Yoder. Lots of construction drawings, materials lists and how-to explanations on this 390 page book.

“Restoring Wood” by Barron’s Educational Series (Spain). This is the English translation. This book is good for showing how to repair, restore or conserve very old wood furniture. Full color photos fill these 160 pages which show step by step methods of wood restoration. If you are into antiques or want to make furniture look old, this is a good source book. Taken by Dave V Asperen

“Appalachian White Oak Basketmaking… Handing down the Basket” by Rachel Nash Law and Cynthia W. Taylor. A 300 page book about the history of baskets in the mountains and how they were made. Many great illustrations of techniques used.

“Wooden Planes and How to Make Them” by David G Perch and Roberts S. Lee. Just like the title says. Dozens of planes illustrated and how you can make them. Taken by Nathan

“Traditional Toys… Over 20 Classic Designs for Woodworkers” by George Buchanan. This is a how-to-make-it book with many construction details and not only photographs but measured drawings. Taken by David V Asperen

“Woodcarver’s Pattern & Design Book” by E.J. Tangerman. It’s full of photographed carved objects and the patterns to follow if you want to carve them. Taken by David V Asperen

“Encyclopedia of Country Furniture” by Candie Frankel. Has hundreds of photos, mostly full color, show furniture styles evolution but does not have plans, construction techniques or measured drawings.

“American Cabinetmakers… Marked American Furniture from 1640 to 1940” by William C. Ketchum, Jr. This is one of the most important antiques books ever to be published. It’s the first book to catalog and illustrate all known American wood furniture pieces that bear signatures, labels, brands, impressions or ink stamps of their makers.

Last edited:

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
Larry,
It's me again,
I would like the" Forgotten Arts and Crafts" book if it is not spoken for ,
Also "Traditional Toys" again if not spoken for ,I want others to have a chance at some of these books
Thanks
Dave
Pops, " Woodcarver's Pattern and Design Book"
Ok , now I am feeling piggish and greedy

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Larry,
It's me again,
I would like the" Forgotten Arts and Crafts" book if it is not spoken for ,
Also "Traditional Toys" again if not spoken for ,I want others to have a chance at some of these books
Thanks
Dave
Pops, " Woodcarver's Pattern and Design Book"
Ok , now I am feeling piggish and greedy

Your name is on them. I can probably send your box on as it's getting full. Send me a PM and give me your shipping address. I'll get them to the post office and then send you an invoice for the exact cost. It will go by Media Mail rates.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Dave, there is room in the box for one more book. Can you choose another one? I'll let you know for sure if it will fit.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
If you have any more that no one has claimed I would consider paying shipping so they can go to the vet's garage.

For me personally I would be interested in box making, turning and bandsaw boxes.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
All the ones above are available except the ones in bold with a person's name shown as taking it. More will be offered in a few days.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
Let's see if anyone is interested in the ones above, while I would be happy to see them go to the Vet's Garage I don't now for sure that they would be used right away. If someone else has a more immediate need I would rather they get it. But after a while if no one wants any, and they're taking up space, I'll see if I can afford the shipping to the Vet's Garage.

Mostly what the guys at the Vet's Garage do is turning, jewelery boxes, wood burning, some carving and toy making during the holidays. Not really any furniture making or elaborate projects as of yet. Our choice of tools is limited and, well, kind of old.

Last edited:

Nathan W

Reaction score
First name
Nathan
I am new here and not sure how the process goes. If you still have the book about making planes I would love to have it. This is not available at my library. Thank you for passing all this knowledge along.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I am new here and not sure how the process goes. If you still have the book about making planes I would love to have it. This is not available at my library. Thank you for passing all this knowledge along.

Nathan, you need to make a few more posts before to can Private Message, which is how we exchange shipping info and such. Look around, jump into some other posts and you'll be fine. Tony

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'm interested in the Chippendale and Handberg books as well as the Stevens book.

Thank you.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Let's see if anyone is interested in the ones above, while I would be happy to see them go to the Vet's Garage I don't now for sure that they would be used right away. If someone else has a more immediate need I would rather they get it. But after a while if no one wants any, and they're taking up space, I'll see if I can afford the shipping to the Vet's Garage.

Mostly what the guys at the Vet's Garage do is turning, jewelery boxes, wood burning, some carving and toy making during the holidays. Not really any furniture making or elaborate projects as of yet. Our choice of tools is limited and, well, kind of old.

This note from Woodworking Vet gave me an idea. Why don't we make this a group effort to spread woodworking knowledge around? If others have books they could donate to this effort, we could operate as an informal book exchange. We would agree to ship them to other members for the cost of media mail and they could either be loaned or gifted. I have many other books I was planning to keep but would be glad to put them out for loan. The borrower would agree to pay for media mail in both directions. Since many of these books sell for $30 to $45 dollar, that would be an inexpensive way for others to read and enjoy them.

What does everyone think about this? Maybe there could be a forum set up for Free Woodworking Books ... Loan, exchanges and give aways.
@Tony

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
This note from Woodworking Vet gave me an idea. Why don't we make this a group effort to spread woodworking knowledge around? If others have books they could donate to this effort, we could operate as an informal book exchange. We would agree to ship them to other members for the cost of media mail and they could either be loaned or gifted. I have many other books I was planning to keep but would be glad to put them out for loan. The borrower would agree to pay for media mail in both directions. Since many of these books sell for $30 to $45 dollar, that would be an inexpensive way for others to read and enjoy them.

What does everyone think about this? Maybe there could be a forum set up for Free Woodworking Books ... Loan, exchanges and give aways.
@Tony

Not a bad idea. What do you think @ripjack13, @DKMD @NYWoodturner @woodtickgreg ?