Fun With the Kids

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
My nephew in the Air Force has been visiting from Wyoming for almost a month now. Along with him are his wife and five kids ranging in age from 6-11. They are fascinated by everything that occurs with the lathe.

Only one of them has any interest in actually using the lathe, but unfortunately, he is a little too young to control the tools by himself. Loves putting his hands on mine though and helping all he can. Nevertheless, they all want to watch and help with design decisions. I let them choose what I make for them, and then I have to make at least five of everything.

66119173_2153925071373395_6865743099419688960_n.jpg

This is Lane, whose first question is always "can we make something?" I've got to watch them closely, as they will climb on anything and everything to get a better view of what I'm doing

67198867_10216775354430699_1744018212669882368_o.jpg

Here is a picture of what we've made so far. For size reference, the bat is about 16 inches long.

Picture0725191224_1.jpg

Six wands in cherry (Lane got two for all his help), eight whistles (which their parents just love):rofl: made from cherry, walnut and black locust, two swords in ash, a miniature cherry baseball bat, a hollow egg to hide the smallest whistle, and one solid egg.

They are going to visit one more time before they go home, so who knows what else we will make. Just wished they lived closer, so I could get some hooked and starting to learn using the lathe.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
That’s awesome! It’s always fun to see the joy in a kids eyes when they watch/help with a turning... and the helplessness on the parents’ faces when five whistles are being played in unison!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
You made some great memories with them! Just maybe woodworking will stick with at least one of them! Really nice to document with pictures! Chuck

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
A good thing you are doing. Keeps the kids from being bored or getting into mischief. Could be a great learning experience for one or more.:good2::good2::good2::good2::good2:

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Nice job. You reminded me of the "hands" days. When we were doing something that was a little risky for a child we'd say "hands" and the kids knew what it meant. It worked for awhile anyway.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
My nephew in the Air Force has been visiting from Wyoming for almost a month now. Along with him are his wife and five kids ranging in age from 6-11. They are fascinated by everything that occurs with the lathe.

Only one of them has any interest in actually using the lathe, but unfortunately, he is a little too young to control the tools by himself. Loves putting his hands on mine though and helping all he can. Nevertheless, they all want to watch and help with design decisions. I let them choose what I make for them, and then I have to make at least five of everything.

View attachment 169161

This is Lane, whose first question is always "can we make something?" I've got to watch them closely, as they will climb on anything and everything to get a better view of what I'm doing

View attachment 169162

Here is a picture of what we've made so far. For size reference, the bat is about 16 inches long.

View attachment 169163

Six wands in cherry (Lane got two for all his help), eight whistles (which their parents just love):rofl: made from cherry, walnut and black locust, two swords in ash, a miniature cherry baseball bat, a hollow egg to hide the smallest whistle, and one solid egg.

They are going to visit one more time before they go home, so who knows what else we will make. Just wished they lived closer, so I could get some hooked and starting to learn using the lathe.
Very cool my kids would love the whistles too. What's the best way to make them?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very cool my kids would love the whistles too. What's the best way to make them?

I can't remember where I saw a short tutorial for them, so I'll make another whistle and take some better pictures to show the steps. They are quick to make and young ones can help with several steps, or make them themselves.

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I can't remember where I saw a short tutorial for them, so I'll make another whistle and take some better pictures to show the steps. They are quick to make and young ones can help with several steps, or make them themselves.
That'd be great

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That is great! Wonderful time for you and them! (Not so much for their parents with the whistles!)