Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Funny KJ stuff...

Discussion in 'Best Wishes' started by TimR, Nov 19, 2016.

1. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Tim
    I had no where near the level of zingers flying back and forth in threads as some of you...you know who you are, so let's see some of your favorite threads or comments by Kevin and have a good laugh in his honor. :drinks3:

So...somewhere about a year or so ago, I noticed a note in a thread where Kevin despised...well, didn't have much respect for, wikis and their purported claim to truth and accuracy. So...any time I had a chance, I put a note in a thread espousing wiki virtues. See about halfway down in this thread....and Kevin's response.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    And here is a great piece of logic from the man himself. I thought it was brilliant, My wife thought I was nuts....

3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I remember that. Good stuff....

4. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan
    I almost suggested someone make a wiki page in his honor. He'd have hated it. But would have got a good laugh, I'm sure.

5. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    That made me chuckle...

6. Don Ratcliff

Don Ratcliff Tinkering on something Full Member

First name:
    Don
    When I first started using a mot to burn bowls I posted a pic of the set up. he (while driving) posted to stop using it, sent me a couple text messages and called me in the span of minutes to tell me what I was doing wrong.

7. DKMD

First name:
    David
    I'm struggling with specifics, but I think about the innumerable chuckles and laughs his posts have given me over the past several years. If laughter is really the best medicine, Kevin has helped a lot more people than I could ever hope to help.

8. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    One of the guys that works for me is named Kevin. I would on many occasions be texting work Kevin and send it to our Kevin by mistake. HIs replies almost got work Kevin fired a couple of times.

9. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    @DKMD, we all had a good laugh at SWAT this past year when he was texting @David Hill instead of you that evening. Remember that?

10. JR Parks

JR Parks Member Full Member

First name:
    Jim
    Speaking of still smiling at Kevin's antics- In late October I texted asking about how his knee was getting along. He replied " Hey Jim don't ever accuse me of leaving out the details, you asked I answered lmao ...." and sent a selfie photo out in the yard with his bluejeans around his knees showing his scar. I will always smile seeing and thinking of that photo.

11. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Probably a good thing then that it wasn't his backside he'd injured with the saw! :scare3:

12. JR Parks

First name:
    Jim
    I would still be smiling just not as much!

13. DKMD

First name:
    David
    I do remember that, and I still get a kick out of thinking about it.

14. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Great idea, Tim. I had a good time this morning going back through old threads.

As many things as Kevin and I agreed on, we also disagreed a bunch - and as many of you can attest, he could be a real sumbitch when he felt cornered and the mood struck him. He and I had a few behind the scenes frank discussions, the ultimate result of which was that we realized we appreciated each other's contributions more than we butted heads so we both needed to get over it. I also learned that when he was really pissed I could generally deflect that anger to humor with a few well placed jabs.

Some of my favorite Kevin threads I haven't been able to find - he had some priceless rants about members not reading what he wrote (while in the next post making a comment that made it clear he hadn't read what they wrote) - to the point that a number of us started intentionally posting what he said almost verbatim (or the opposite, depending on which would get the most mileage in the situation) to create the appearance we hadn't read what he wrote. You could almost smell the smoke coming out of his ears.

Bringing up 9mm as a home defense round, or taking any gun position opposite his, were always sure fire ways to get a rise out of our buddy. This thread, http://woodbarter.com/threads/first-shotgun.22856/#post-288201, was a great example. An innocuous request from @frankp for advise plus some contradictory and pompous responses from yours-truly got the blood boiling a bit before humor saved the day.

Of course, my favorite way to get under his skin was to use what he said against him - no better than when he proclaimed how good he was at picking football winners though he never gambled. Naturally, I picked the opposite picks - how could i lose? I couldn't. I couldn't find that first tete-a-tete where I intentionally took his losers, but this thread http://woodbarter.com/threads/2016-nfl-divisional-playoffs.25151/ was the 2nd or 3rd such "bet".

I really do miss Kevin, his humor, his sarcasm, and, yes, even his periodic boilovers. I still don't really know what to say about his passing other than I miss him.

15. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    That was funny.
    Even funnier was when he was going to meet somebody for lunch and called me twice--"Where in H--- are you?" That was before I knew his last name but did know another Jaynes & trying to figure out what I was missing.

16. CodyCole24

CodyCole24 I love you Dad! Full Member

First name:
    Cody Abby
    I would love to see that photo! ❤️

17. CodyCole24

CodyCole24 I love you Dad! Full Member

First name:
    Cody Abby
    Thank you so much for sharing that!! I cried, I smiled..you reminded me...he had such a temper! I had never told him about any boys my entire life, besides 1, that I "crushed on"... until my husband bc I was so afraid of his reaction..not like he ever really got mad at me and he never once laid a hand on me...but he was my protector...and I feared for the guys life's lol...my husband and him got along great!! I miss him so so damn much!!! I will talk about him everyday, think of him everyday, and keep his memories alive! -Abby

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  18. JR Parks

First name:
    Jim
    @CodyCole24
    It is that little lip pursing smile - whenever I see this pic-and it will stay for a while. He couldn't just tell you he had to show-Because on Woodbarter if there is no pic then it didn't happen. So here goes:
    image1 2.jpeg

19. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    @JR Parks

Jim, did Kevin ever send you the pic he took of us at SWAT? Tony

20. JR Parks

First name:
    Jim
    No I 'd like a copy when you get to it.