Funny KJ stuff...

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I had no where near the level of zingers flying back and forth in threads as some of you...you know who you are, so let's see some of your favorite threads or comments by Kevin and have a good laugh in his honor. :drinks3:

So...somewhere about a year or so ago, I noticed a note in a thread where Kevin despised...well, didn't have much respect for, wikis and their purported claim to truth and accuracy. So...any time I had a chance, I put a note in a thread espousing wiki virtues. See about halfway down in this thread....and Kevin's response.

Last edited:

Schroedc

Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit....
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Colin
And here is a great piece of logic from the man himself. I thought it was brilliant, My wife thought I was nuts....

No no nooooooo. The point of an auction is to RAISE money not SAVE money. Spend that Christmas money now and you won't have to spend it in December - think of how much you'll save on Christmas!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I had no where near the level of zingers flying back and forth in threads as some of you...you know who you are, so let's see some of your favorite threads or comments by Kevin and have a good laugh in his honor. :drinks3:

So...somewhere about a year or so ago, I noticed a note in a thread where Kevin despised...well, didn't have much respect for, wikis and their purported claim to truth and accuracy. So...any time I had a chance, I put a note in a thread espousing wiki virtues. See about halfway down in this thread....and Kevin's response.
I remember that. Good stuff....

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan

I almost suggested someone make a wiki page in his honor. He'd have hated it. But would have got a good laugh, I'm sure.

Don Ratcliff

Tinkering on something
Reaction score
First name
Don
When I first started using a mot to burn bowls I posted a pic of the set up. he (while driving) posted to stop using it, sent me a couple text messages and called me in the span of minutes to tell me what I was doing wrong.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I'm struggling with specifics, but I think about the innumerable chuckles and laughs his posts have given me over the past several years. If laughter is really the best medicine, Kevin has helped a lot more people than I could ever hope to help.

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Scott
One of the guys that works for me is named Kevin. I would on many occasions be texting work Kevin and send it to our Kevin by mistake. HIs replies almost got work Kevin fired a couple of times.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
@DKMD, we all had a good laugh at SWAT this past year when he was texting @David Hill instead of you that evening. Remember that?

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Speaking of still smiling at Kevin's antics- In late October I texted asking about how his knee was getting along. He replied " Hey Jim don't ever accuse me of leaving out the details, you asked I answered lmao ...." and sent a selfie photo out in the yard with his bluejeans around his knees showing his scar. I will always smile seeing and thinking of that photo.

Schroedc

Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit....
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Speaking of still smiling at Kevin's antics- In late October I texted asking about how his knee was getting along. He replied " Hey Jim don't ever accuse me of leaving out the details, you asked I answered lmao ...." and sent a selfie photo out in the yard with his bluejeans around his knees showing his scar. I will always smile seeing and thinking of that photo.
Probably a good thing then that it wasn't his backside he'd injured with the saw! :scare3:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
@DKMD, we all had a good laugh at SWAT this past year when he was texting @David Hill instead of you that evening. Remember that?
I do remember that, and I still get a kick out of thinking about it.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Great idea, Tim. I had a good time this morning going back through old threads.

As many things as Kevin and I agreed on, we also disagreed a bunch - and as many of you can attest, he could be a real sumbitch when he felt cornered and the mood struck him. He and I had a few behind the scenes frank discussions, the ultimate result of which was that we realized we appreciated each other's contributions more than we butted heads so we both needed to get over it. I also learned that when he was really pissed I could generally deflect that anger to humor with a few well placed jabs.

Some of my favorite Kevin threads I haven't been able to find - he had some priceless rants about members not reading what he wrote (while in the next post making a comment that made it clear he hadn't read what they wrote) - to the point that a number of us started intentionally posting what he said almost verbatim (or the opposite, depending on which would get the most mileage in the situation) to create the appearance we hadn't read what he wrote. You could almost smell the smoke coming out of his ears.

Bringing up 9mm as a home defense round, or taking any gun position opposite his, were always sure fire ways to get a rise out of our buddy. This thread, http://woodbarter.com/threads/first-shotgun.22856/#post-288201, was a great example. An innocuous request from @frankp for advise plus some contradictory and pompous responses from yours-truly got the blood boiling a bit before humor saved the day.

Of course, my favorite way to get under his skin was to use what he said against him - no better than when he proclaimed how good he was at picking football winners though he never gambled. Naturally, I picked the opposite picks - how could i lose? I couldn't. I couldn't find that first tete-a-tete where I intentionally took his losers, but this thread http://woodbarter.com/threads/2016-nfl-divisional-playoffs.25151/ was the 2nd or 3rd such "bet".

I really do miss Kevin, his humor, his sarcasm, and, yes, even his periodic boilovers. I still don't really know what to say about his passing other than I miss him.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
That was funny.
Even funnier was when he was going to meet somebody for lunch and called me twice--"Where in H--- are you?" That was before I knew his last name but did know another Jaynes & trying to figure out what I was missing.

CodyCole24

I love you Dad!
Reaction score
First name
Cody Abby
I would love to see that photo! ❤

CodyCole24

I love you Dad!
Reaction score
First name
Cody Abby
Great idea, Tim. I had a good time this morning going back through old threads.

As many things as Kevin and I agreed on, we also disagreed a bunch - and as many of you can attest, he could be a real sumbitch when he felt cornered and the mood struck him. He and I had a few behind the scenes frank discussions, the ultimate result of which was that we realized we appreciated each other's contributions more than we butted heads so we both needed to get over it. I also learned that when he was really pissed I could generally deflect that anger to humor with a few well placed jabs.

Some of my favorite Kevin threads I haven't been able to find - he had some priceless rants about members not reading what he wrote (while in the next post making a comment that made it clear he hadn't read what they wrote) - to the point that a number of us started intentionally posting what he said almost verbatim (or the opposite, depending on which would get the most mileage in the situation) to create the appearance we hadn't read what he wrote. You could almost smell the smoke coming out of his ears.

Bringing up 9mm as a home defense round, or taking any gun position opposite his, were always sure fire ways to get a rise out of our buddy. This thread, http://woodbarter.com/threads/first-shotgun.22856/#post-288201, was a great example. An innocuous request from @frankp for advise plus some contradictory and pompous responses from yours-truly got the blood boiling a bit before humor saved the day.

Of course, my favorite way to get under his skin was to use what he said against him - no better than when he proclaimed how good he was at picking football winners though he never gambled. Naturally, I picked the opposite picks - how could i lose? I couldn't. I couldn't find that first tete-a-tete where I intentionally took his losers, but this thread http://woodbarter.com/threads/2016-nfl-divisional-playoffs.25151/ was the 2nd or 3rd such "bet".

I really do miss Kevin, his humor, his sarcasm, and, yes, even his periodic boilovers. I still don't really know what to say about his passing other than I miss him.
Thank you so much for sharing that!! I cried, I smiled..you reminded me...he had such a temper! I had never told him about any boys my entire life, besides 1, that I "crushed on"... until my husband bc I was so afraid of his reaction..not like he ever really got mad at me and he never once laid a hand on me...but he was my protector...and I feared for the guys life's lol...my husband and him got along great!! I miss him so so damn much!!! I will talk about him everyday, think of him everyday, and keep his memories alive! -Abby

Last edited: