Game Call and Turkey Pots

manbuckwal

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Jason said:
Pretty much any wood can be used for a turkey call. I know a guy who only uses cedar and he makes a great call. Cherry, walnut, maple, hackberry, osage, and hackberry are very popular woods. Spalted woods, crotch wood, and burls can be used.

the important things i look for when deciding what wood to buy is just like everyone else. Figure and unique. Unlike alot of other turnings, the wood has to be around 8% or less in Moisture content otherwise the pot when hollowed out will move. Once it moves then the pot is worhtless. When we build pot calls, we build it around a specific piece of glass, slate or aluminum. If the move twists or warps, then the plate won't sit correctly and through off the call.

I love the Walnut you have listed and if its dry and you post it for sale, depending on price, i would love first crack.
Jason
Thanks for the info James . It's not completely dry yet but I bought a toaster oven today to start drying some stuff . I don't have a moisture meter either, but I will dry them some tomorrow and post em. Thanks again

Jason

Reaction score
First name
Jason
My pleasure.

Also, remember when you cut the blanks, at least 4x4, no smaller or it gets tough to make a call out of. And the thickness can range from 3/4 to no more than 1 1/2 (too thick and its a waste of wood)

Also remember alot of people like to make a striker out the same wood sometimes so a 1.5x.1.5 by 8+ is also usable.

Figure, unique and dry, will sell every time.

jason

clent586

Reaction score
First name
Clent
I will also add when you get ready to turn your first pot, make notes of measurements as far as depths and widths, floor thickness, hole locations, distance between boards, wall thickness, lip width....and the list goes on. There is more than just putting a a piece of slate or glass in it and making it sound right. EVERY measurement matters as you will see. Dont give up until you find that magic combination. Chad Hutcheson (Stumpy on many forums) is the best place to buy glass, crystal and slate in my opinion. I also buy a good bit of stuff at Brookside as someone else mentioned.