Gas Can Spout

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
The newer gas can spouts are a PIA. Today when filling the chain saw I pulled down on the spout to engage it and was met with a spray of air and gas as the can vented. My older cans have a vent on them and a very simple spout that you tip and pour. I see there are aftermarket spouts like the older style but wonder how you can be sure of the size. I doubt there's much of a standard out there. Anyone got any tips?

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
You can still find the old style cans here and there brand new. I bought one locally just a month ago. If you stop by I've got a couple you could have...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I buy every old Chilton can that I can find just for the spouts! The new cans are mandated buy the government because they are supposed to be safer or environmentally friendly or some crap like that.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
And my wife asks why I need several extra cans not yet used...:lol2:
Good to know you're not alone.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
If you do find the old style spout, one that fits, they typically want as much for the spout as you used to pay for the gas can! And, yes most are a standard size, although I've encountered a few with slight differences in the threads. Still worked, but they are a little tougher to screw the spout on. There's been an ad circulating frequently on Facebook of late for them, but the spout is $15, then they want $10 - $12 to ship it.

As for cause for the stupidity we are forced to endure in that respect. It was brought upon us all by some drunk trying to throw gas on a fire, with the gas can, and the flames chased the source of the fuel back to the can, which then exploded. The ensuing lawsuit brought by the moron's attorney, because gas can spouts allowed STUPID PEOPLE to be STUPID, bankrupted the blow mold company that manufactured most gas cans available in this country at the time. And, prompted federal guidelines for gas can spouts that don't allow STUPID PEOPLE to be STUPID!

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can still find the old style cans here and there brand new. I bought one locally just a month ago. If you stop by I've got a couple you could have...

I may just take you up on that when we get together later. Thanks.

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
If you do find the old style spout, one that fits, they typically want as much for the spout as you used to pay for the gas can! And, yes most are a standard size, although I've encountered a few with slight differences in the threads. Still worked, but they are a little tougher to screw the spout on. There's been an ad circulating frequently on Facebook of late for them, but the spout is $15, then they want $10 - $12 to ship it.

As for cause for the stupidity we are forced to endure in that respect. It was brought upon us all by some drunk trying to throw gas on a fire, with the gas can, and the flames chased the source of the fuel back to the can, which then exploded. The ensuing lawsuit brought by the moron's attorney, because gas can spouts allowed STUPID PEOPLE to be STUPID, bankrupted the blow mold company that manufactured most gas cans available in this country at the time. And, prompted federal guidelines for gas can spouts that don't allow STUPID PEOPLE to be STUPID!

@rocky1 ... Is there anything that you don't know!??!

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then there's this:

Worth a try, think I'll cut off the excess white too.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike

Oh they will find a way...

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Oh they will find a way...

Well yeah... You just screw the ridiculous spout off, and it throws about 5 times as much gas! However... The manufacturer can at that point say, we made it so that it prevented such stupidity, and that individual removed the safety device to prove how stupid he was. Wherein they are no longer liable.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Yeah, I've got a few with the vented straight spouts that are just aggravating, especially when you're standing there trying to fill the tractor and have to hold them head high, upside down, with the little ear hooked over the rim of the fuel tank so it opens the vent.

Then I have a couple that you have to pull the button back, and mash the lever down, and the spout on them is maybe 3 inches long. Came home from ND in a Ford pickup, with a 16 gallon tank, and didn't have gas stops figured out on that small tank for a Sunday afternoon across the Midwest, where they roll the sidewalks in for the weekends in small towns. Was all Wally World had at the time, and they were the only place open at the ridiculous hour I headed out. Actually had to use them, and the neck on the can wasn't long enough to get all the gas in my truck. Barely reached the fill neck. Dumped about half of one can in, dumped half the other can in, then dumped the remaining half of one can into the other, and dumped that in. PITA!! And, yes I smelled like gas for about 250 miles.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That'll do, not a Chilton type but close enough and I like that it bends for pouring too! Price is right also.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
Before Blitz went out of business because of CARB regulations, I bought 8 five gallon plastic cans, and a dozen new spouts. I've been offered $40 for a used can at the gas station when I fill them up.
I turned them down. You just can't buy these cans any more.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Same thing happens to me with my Chilton's.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Old rubbermaid cans where cool to because they had a flexible clear spout that could be bent to avoid spills, like a drinking straw.