Gavel & Block - Challenge

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Great job, love the lighter color! The "wider" grooves work very well, gives the illusion that the narrow beads are actually bands holding the head together!

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Throwing in the towel. I made the base, and head but blew up three handles. Being out of wood, and budget, and with work the way it is this week I won't make the deadline. Here's to better luck next time. Ash, and Yellow Box. I was going for the lighter wood look as well. I wanted Holly but some how ended up getting ash. I may try this again in the future with Holly or maybe Maple? The ash was kiln dry and just fell apart, probably not the right choice of wood.
IMG_2310.jpg

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Throwing in the towel. I made the base, and head but blew up three handles. Being out of wood, and budget, and with work the way it is this week I won't make the deadline. Here's to better luck next time. Ash, and Yellow Box. I was going for the lighter wood look as well. I wanted Holly but some how ended up getting ash. I may try this again in the future with Holly or maybe Maple? The ash was kiln dry and just fell apart, probably not the right choice of wood.
View attachment 187851

Looks good Kevin, sorry you weren't able to finish. The point of this whole thing is to try new things and learn, I guess you did both.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I like it, got some great grain patterns in those! Definitely finish it when things settle down a little for you. What you've got is too nice to leave it unfinished.

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
View attachment 187851
No no no....
What you have there is a palm gavel and block set.

You see you knowingly decreased raw material cost, improved manufacturing throughput, and reduce the chance for quality defects.

Well done sir!

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
View attachment 187851
Now It’s a palm gavel that’s all.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Now It’s a palm gavel that’s all.
Thank you all, but yes...and no. Regardless, the rules of the challenge clearly states it had to be over 8" long which mine is clearly not. And if I was going for a palm gavel, I would have gone for something more like this. In my google search I did see some that were just standard gavel head without handle which I don't find as attractive as the palm gavel in the image below.

321544128817_m.jpeg

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Thank you all, but yes...and no. Regardless, the rules of the challenge clearly states it had to be over 8" long which mine is clearly not. And if I was going for a palm gavel, I would have gone for something more like this. In my google search I did see some that were just standard gavel head without handle which I don't find as attractive as the palm gavel in the image below.

321544128817_m.jpeg
I was just saying that’s what you ended up with.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I forgot about checking in to see what the new challenge was until now. I'm loving what everyone has done so far! This is going to be a tough one to choose again. :)

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got mine finished this past weekend; just had to wait for the paint to dry.

I decided to go with a non-traditional wood for this as most of the ones I've seen have been darker in color. I now see why as I'm not terribly fond of the lighter maple.

And not that I didn't know this before, but having the right tools for the job is ever so important. I don't have a thin parting tool, so the grooves I made are much wider than I would have liked. It was a great project for the challenge and my intent in starting these is certainly being met. I'm learning more and more with every one. Keep them coming!!!

View attachment 187840

View attachment 187841
Lookin good Steve! I really like Ambrosia maple and your beads look great!

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Here is my entry. Another not quite finished. I need to buff the block and the mallet ends. Lesson not quite learned yet: finishing turnings like this. One end of the mallet handle was easy, it goes into the mallet. Anyway, great challenge, will make a great present for the sis in law, and love the wood. Oh, another lesson.....proportions. Need practice but that is what this is all about. Thanks folks. Heading out of town to see grandson and youngest stepson and extended family tomorrow morning so will buff next week.

Hard maple handle, Texas ebony mallet head, and I think some type of wild maple block. We have thunderstorms this afternoon and it killed the light so not the best pictures.

CECC02FC-2376-4D00-B8FE-6972B92DADCB.jpeg

40B0377D-C057-4DF6-B9DF-D40E5069B46D.jpeg

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Here is my entry. Another not quite finished. I need to buff the block and the mallet ends. Lesson not quite learned yet: finishing turnings like this. One end of the mallet handle was easy, it goes into the mallet. Anyway, great challenge, will make a great present for the sis in law, and love the wood. Oh, another lesson.....proportions. Need practice but that is what this is all about. Thanks folks. Heading out of town to see grandson and youngest stepson and extended family tomorrow morning so will buff next week.

Hard maple handle, Texas ebony mallet head, and I think some type of wild maple block. We have thunderstorms this afternoon and it killed the light so not the best pictures.

View attachment 187863

View attachment 187864
That's still pretty cool and I like the slab of wood it's sitting on too. :)

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony

View attachment 187863

View attachment 187864

Nice! Like you said, it's about learning and trying new things. Are you sure that's Texas Ebony? Doesn't look like it to me.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Nice! Like you said, it's about learning and trying new things. Are you sure that's Texas Ebony? Doesn't look like it to me.

had some sap wood that turned off. I got it from a former member on here about 4 years ago from Mission Texas. Can’t remember his name, but his avatar had a big sombrero. Friends were wintering just a few miles from where he lived and hauled the large pieces home for me.