1. To all members, we have made some changes to the rules. We encourage you to take a moment and re-acquaint yourself with the rules.

Ginormous photos!

Discussion in 'Bugs, Problems, & Other Issues' started by TXMoon, Jul 31, 2019.

1. TXMoon

TXMoon Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Kevin
    No matter how I size them in photoshop, my photos are HUGE in my post. How do I control the size of the image so they are more easily viewed?

2. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Do you mean the physical size? They look normal to me, like everyone else's.

3. Tony

First name:
    Tony
  4. TXMoon

First name:
    Kevin
    Yes, they seem large to me, way too large.

5. Tony

First name:
    Tony
    You are probably clicking on the picture after you upload it. Anytime you click on a picture it enlarges it. Looks fine on my end.

6. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    How small are you making the images in Photoshop Kevin?

Typically I "Save for Web" in Photoshop reducing physical dimensions and photo quality, to enhance browser load speed on the internet. By reducing size of the image, and the colors used and pixel count (in reducing quality), I can reduce file size on a picture by up to 90% pretty easily. Set up for "constrained proportions" so your images don't distort when you save them. If you reduce the largest dimension to 800 pixels, Photoshop will fill in the other side of that, typically around 800 x 600, these larger file size game camera images have been popping out at 800 x 500, but that offers a decently sized image in your browser without offering an expanded view here on the board. Setting the larger dimension to 1200 pixels, the forum board will further reduce size seen and played to around 800 x whatever, and allow the viewer to click on it and expand the picture to pretty much fill their monitor, within the browser window.

A reduction in picture quality to about 60%, again reduces pixel count slightly and the number of colors displayed pretty substantially, without a lot of loss in what a person is actually able to see, and will result in greatly reduced file size, allowing the images to load much quicker on slower connections. Looking at my Game Camera pictures, for reference, simply because I have a bunch to choose from that haven't been reduced in file size, and those are from 20 megapixel cameras, thus highest pixel count I have available around here, although they're black and white and don't use a lot of colors. I can take those images from 3 - 3.5 MB (that is 3000 - 3500 KB), down to 100 - 300 KB. Using the above settings in Photoshop.

What version of Photoshop are you using?

7. TXMoon

First name:
    Kevin
    I am using my iPhone camera then using Photoshop CC subscription. I go to Image Size then reduce it to 1500 pixels wide (from 3042 pixels), with resample set to Automatic, then save . It looks like a good size in Photoshop and Windows Picture viewer . I guess I should take that down to 800?

8. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    At 800 you can't resize on the forum to get a better look at things, is the only reason I take them to 1200. And, therefore assume the forum displays an 800px resolution before expanding it for better view.

1500px is not unreasonable, but it's going to force you to scroll on many if not most monitor settings on a computer. Most will be set to 1024 or 1240 pixels wide, unless it's a really big monitor. 1200 will display full screen width without much scroll on most even at 1024.

Play with 1200 and. 800 see what you prefer.

If you play with photos at all on the computer, Photoshop Express is available for about $80 - $90, works great. I have an older version and 2018 on my computer, the 2018 locks my computer up when trying to resize images, but the old version still works great. H

Has multiple a multiple image resize function where you can drop a batch of pictures in a folder, tell it to resize all, and sit back and wait. Hard drive was filling up on mine, went through all my game cameras pictures and resized, freed up about 30GB before I was done.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

First name:
    Marc
    If you look at the forum on a phone, everything is the same. However, when you are on a computer, everything is not the same. This is most likely where you see that pictures are huge and look weird in the post.

10. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
  11. Tony

First name:
    Tony
    Honestly Marc, I don't think I've ever looked at WB on a computer. I look on my phone 90% of the time, maybe 10% on a Kindle.

Current Time: 7:00 AM