Gluing Wood on Hardboard

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Does anyone have experience gluing wood pieces on Hardboard? My son has an artistic project that he wants to glue wood pieces in a design onto a board that he will frame. Any pitfalls to know about? Or would another type of backing be more suitable? Thanks! Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Hey Chuck,
I've glued pine/fir to hardboard before with Titebond. It held fine. Probably stronger than the hardboard itself. Haven't tried CA glue though.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
If I was going to glue to hardboard, I would sand the area first to give the glue a better hold. Another option, would be to use MDF. That I know you won't have any glue problems with.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I was going to glue to hardboard, I would sand the area first to give the glue a better hold. Another option, would be to use MDF. That I know you won't have any glue problems with.
The backing needs to be reasonably thin in order to fit in a frame to be hung on the wall. Figured a 1/4" thickness would be about as think as it should be. Had some hardboard, but then got to wondering about glueability. Chuck

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Makes sense. I don't think you will have any problems, especially if you rough it up a little where you glue on to. If you have time, and have some spare pieces, maybe do a test run first.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense. I don't think you will have any problems, especially if you rough it up a little where you glue on to. If you have time, and have some spare pieces, maybe do a test run first.
Good idea on the test run! Thanks! Chuck