going after some salt cedar burl today Tamarix ramosissima

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Please show us what the salt cedar looks like inside when you process it, lord knows there's lots of it around here, but I've never seen what the burl looks like....

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please show us what it looks like inside when you process it, lord knows there's lots of it around here, but I've never seen what the burl looks like....
will do, the wood has nice ray flecks when quatersawn. and the burl is fairly stable without a ton of shrinkage

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Trev, hopefully that Salt Cedar is solid. I got some just like that back a few years ago about 250 yards from the banks of the Salton Sea. All of it had no center. It had been dead for awhile, and they were clearing the ground.

That's a good looking Olive.

Barry R., the old dead stuff I collected had some nice color to it than the fresh dead I got from the same pile which was just about as bland as bland can get. The swirls and tiny burl eyes made it worth keeping though. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
What amazing finds! I can't wait to see what they look like inside. PLLEEAAASSSEEE post photos!. :greeting:
Thank you.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Trev, hopefully that Salt Cedar is solid. I got some just like that back a few years ago about 250 yards from the banks of the Salton Sea. All of it had no center. It had been dead for awhile, and they were clearing the ground.

That's a good looking Olive.

Barry R., the old dead stuff I collected had some nice color to it than the fresh dead I got from the same pile which was just about as bland as bland can get. The swirls and tiny burl eyes made it worth keeping though. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)
Yea, I've worked with regular salt cedar before, not that pretty, kinda oak-like, but never seen burl, might be cool....

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Depending on what it looks like inside, I'd be very interested in some lengths of trunk for mainly carving.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
some of the centers are rotted, or soft, maybe good for casting, others are solid enough to cut blocks or small boards out of

KIMG3001.JPG

KIMG3002.JPG

KIMG3003.JPG

KIMG3004.JPG

KIMG3005.JPG

KIMG3006.JPG

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
there is some that is a little soft and spalted that would be great stabilized.