Going to Hawaii.... gonna get some Koa...

Maya Ratcliff

The better Ratcliff
Reaction score
First name
Maya
So we are going to Hawaii next month, who thinks that we should buy an entire container full of KOA, monkeypod,Pheasant Wood and other specialty Hawaiian woods and have it shipped back to Kansas City..... soooo all of our woodbarter buddies can have awesome wood?
Needless to say this would be an expensive venture as the container alone costs $6,200 to ship from Hawaii to Kansas City, but a 10 by 40 foot container can hold a mass amount of wood!
I have a lot of connections on the Islands and if I put the word out now, I am positive that I can find enough wood to fill a container.

I am sure Don will roll his eyes when he reads this because the last thing he wants to do is load all that wood into a trailer.

But when else are all you guys going to have an opportunity like this?

What are your thoughts?

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Who cares what Don thinks. Leave him there and bring the wood back. You are our favorite now. Bye bye old Donnie boy

Last edited:

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
Maybe by leaving Don you could fill his space with wood as well and once it is all gone you could pick him up on the second trip if space allowed!! :good2:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Maybe by leaving Don you could fill his space with wood as well and once it is all gone you could pick him up on the second trip if space allowed!! :good2:

She could leave Don home and I'd be more than willing to go along and load the container!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Oh and IDK about the whole container thing... Koa alone isnt nothing very special in my eyes. When it's the good curly stuff it's what everyone wants. Soooo.... Are you gonna ship a bunch of wood just to get some choice pieces and have a bunch of plain stuff left?

If it was me I would go picking the premium pieces... Honestly I dont think I've even seen Don post extremely curly koa...

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I think you should Maya. In addition, I would be willing, as I'm sure others would, to contribute to the hiring of some locals to do the loading. That would free up space that the man-child would otherwise occupy!:rofl::rofl: Tony

Maya Ratcliff

The better Ratcliff
Reaction score
First name
Maya
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh and IDK about the whole container thing... Koa alone isnt nothing very special in my eyes. When it's the good curly stuff it's what everyone wants. Soooo.... Are you gonna ship a bunch of wood just to get some choice pieces and have a bunch of plain stuff left?

Im
If it was me I would go picking the premium pieces... Honestly I dont think I've even seen Don post extremely curly koa...

I'm Gonna have to disagree with @gman2431 ...Don knows better then to show you the pot of curly KOA at the end of our rainbow.

20160120_080230.jpg

Last edited:

Maya Ratcliff

The better Ratcliff
Reaction score
First name
Maya
Incase anyone has questions regarding the beauty of ALL Koa. I share this (for educational and smart ass purposes only)

koa_title.jpg

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I've only seen him offer one piece for sale to a guy and it was even premium!!! What a slouch.

Just my opinion but with trying to resell to mostly woodturners we want the curl on all 4 sides and that can be hard with KOA. It shows curl well on the quartersawn side when cut but loses it on the others.

Maya Ratcliff

The better Ratcliff
Reaction score
First name
Maya
I have access to aprox 1100 board feet of wide plank monkey pod. This is a part of the "wood stash" that is on Maui waiting to be shipped back.

index.jpg

Maya Ratcliff

The better Ratcliff
Reaction score
First name
Maya
I've only seen him offer one piece for sale to a guy and it was even premium!!! What a slouch.

Just my opinion but with trying to resell to mostly woodturners we want the curl on all 4 sides and that can be hard with KOA. It shows curl well on the quartersawn side when cut but loses it on the others.
That's because I don't want him to sell it.. you see I bought it for him to use.. my Hawaii idea is so we can help our WB buddies get some. I have connections on the Islands. I have a knack for finding exotic wood. Could be that I'm a girl and old guys love to barter with me.. could be because they see me spit on the wood then get super excited when I like what I see. Not sure, but my Hawaii wood guys all know each other and have graciously offered to help me fill a container with "the good stuff".

Last edited:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Hmmm wonder if you know my connection on the island...? I can't release his name otherwise I would and see.

Its your money I would just be leary of how much good stuff is attached to the plain stuff and so forth. I seen a whole Koa log (a big and long one) at a buddies and there was tons of waste to get the good stuff out...

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I would certainly be interested in some, I've never worked with koa or monkey pod. Tony