Good mallet head wood?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Option c or d
Ask around the farm community. See if anyone is selling locust posts. They usually sell the whole 7 foot post for 10 to 20 bucks. Buy one with a big knot in it. The farmers dont like them cause they cant drive staples into the knots. Then you can cut the mallet out of crotch wood

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I've already promised it. Just haven't gotten around to posting in a thread. Sorry Mark. I have a 7x7x4 3/4 piece here but it's not as curly as the other one. You can see some curl in it though

20210831_141437.jpg

20210831_141442.jpg

20210831_141453.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark

Hatch

Reaction score
First name
Dean
I’m very late to this post however, if you haven’t made this mallet yet may I offer a thought. What wood are you going to hit with the mallet? Chisel handles? One will need to be sacrificed over time so do you want to remake a mallet or a chisel handle down the road. If you can make the out of the same wood.hornbeam chisel handle hornbeam mallet. Just a thought.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
What are some alternatives that are good?
I continue to believe that laminated mallet heads are the best. They are much stronger than a solid piece of comparable Janka value, AND they avoid the need to find thick pieces. You don't have to do a fancy laminated handled the way I did, just use some wood that has some spring to it, or wrap in cord as I did, which are both good ways to protect your wrist from excessive vibration.

Last edited: