Gorilla glue for segmented turning

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Guys, I've been wondering if any of y'all have ever used Gorilla glue for closed segmented turning? I've been using Titebond III for several years, and it
works fine....but I've been thinking if the foaming qualities of Gorilla glue might solve a problem when there is a minute gap between segments...the main problem that I would expect is the "tack time" of Gorilla may cause a problem...

I would appreciate your thoughts..

Larry

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
We use Gorilla glue in some parts of the guitar building stuff I've been doing. Usually, we use Gorilla glue when we need the glue not to shrink when drying, also when we're gluing two different materials (ie, acrylic binding to the wood guitar body, not wood to wood). So I would think one could use it for the exact purpose you are thinking about. The only thing I notice with Gorilla glue is it feels sort of rubbery flexible, for quite some time. Maybe in a small joint that wouldn't even be noticed. But I used it binding the last guitar and after letting it dry for 48 hours, it stuck the tape to the guitar body as well as epoxy, and it sanded down just like Titebond or epoxy.

Last edited:

calabrese55

Reaction score
First name
mike
What are you using to cut your segments. Wedgie sleds are the general standards and marking the wedge stock length prior to cutting can eliminate a bunch of fit issues.
There are tons of vids on YouTube but this one kind of shows what i am suggestion.
Lastly I would not recomend Gorilla Glue the gap filling you are looking for will be quite weak .
Check this out
calabrese55

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are you using to cut your segments. Wedgie sleds are the general standards and marking the wedge stock length prior to cutting can eliminate a bunch of fit issues.
There are tons of vids on YouTube but this one kind of shows what i am suggestion.
Lastly I would not recomend Gorilla Glue the gap filling you are looking for will be quite weak .
Check this out
calabrese55

I do use a wedgie sled, and there is no problem regarding the fit. I use a dedicated 80 tooth carbide blade, on my Delta cabinet saw. If you've done much segmented turning, occasionally, you will get a piece that perhaps slips a bit when it's cut, and you don't notice it until you glue the next layer on the project. Most of my project have either 72 or 144 pieces/layer.
As I mentioned earlier, my "go to" glue has been Titebond III, and will continue to be, I've wondered about Gorilla, so had to bring it up. Thanks for your input.
Larry

calabrese55

Reaction score
First name
mike
Hi Larry
Yes I often have the same issues with fit and my go to is TBII.
I always dry fit first with a clamp .That allows me to see any gap issues that I fix with usually some hand sanding on a jointed flat hardwood and self stick sandpaper. I fall into the same segment territory as you mention usually .
the picture hereis an example lots of joints and some hahd sanding was involved.
Sometimes I find you just have to rub em the right way :lol2:
calabrese55

BOWL 55-9 11-2022 (33).JPG

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Larry
I always dry fit first with a clamp .That allows me to see any gap issues that I fix with usually some hand sanding on a jointed flat hardwood I and self stick sandpaper. I fall into the same segment territory as you mention usually .
the picture hereis an example lots of joints and some hahd sanding was involved.
calabrese55

View attachment 239065

Hi Larry
I always dry fit first with a clamp .That allows me to see any gap issues that I fix with usually some hand sanding on a jointed flat hardwood and self stick sandpaper. I fall into the same segment territory as you mention usually .
calabrese55.

I used to glue up rings, then one day, I wanted to turn more segments per ring (layer), so I bought one of Tom Lohman's jigs, haven't looked back since.
Between that and the wedgie sled, I've turned several projects with up to 144 pieces per layer.

Most recently, I've been making urns for cremains. I sell a few and donate some to friends and relatives who pass on.
It keeps me off the streets and does some good for people