Grade 8 Bolts

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Needed some 3/8" and 5/16" bolts today, and wanted to use grade 8. Went to Tractor Supply, and they're in the midst of a major remodel--the whole hardware section was back in the storage area so they could strip & polish the floor. Will be a day or two before they bring the stuff back out. So...drove over to Rural King which i'm not a regular at. Found the hardware bins, but wasn't seeing the expected yellow finish grade 8 stuff.

On my third pass in the aisle i saw the big Grade 8 sign sticking out from the shelf--but the bolts, nuts & washers were all BLUE (i'd seen the blue on the first two passes, figured they were for some exotic use). Then i noticed that the green nuts & bolts were Grade 5. I know i don't get out much, and i'm not the most-informed person on new technology...but i'd only ever seen yellow grade 8. Is the blue something new? Or is that a color choice retailers have had available??

I picked up what i needed...but i've gone out to the garage 3 times in the past 5 hours to see if they're still blue!!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
What the heck are the colors all about? Guess I haven’t kept up with 21st Century hardware! Chuck

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Chuck, they are just coatings. I haven't seen any Grade 8 bolts in yellow yet. There is Chrome, black and then the yellow might be Cadmium Plated bolts, nuts, screws and any other things needing protection from elements that might harm them. If I'm even close to being right on the yellow, it's probably for moist locations, maybe.

The Grade 8 designation only indicates the hardness of the bolt. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
My Rural King has the same color coding system. Easier for the cashiers to know what to charge.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely stood out to the cashier. These have the 6 lines on the bolt heads, and the washers are stamped with "8". Classy looking color.

Grade 8--Blue.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Definitely stood out to the cashier. These have the 6 lines on the bolt heads, and the washers are stamped with "8". Classy looking color.

View attachment 253036
Thank goodness Rural King still sells fasteners in bulk. When things get packaged in small quantities, things get expensive. They got rid of bulk drywall/deck screws and went to prepackaged plastic boxes of 1# ($10/#) and 5# ($6-7/#) sizes. I can get cheaper off the internet and save $6 in gas.
I heard they're under new management. One of the sons took over.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Agreed on the bulk. Grade 8 for $1.39/pound is a good value compared to Ace's $0.30 +/- per bolt. I use Ace if i just need a few of something, Tractor Supply (or Rural King--new to our town) for bulk in what they carry in bulk. For stuff i can't get in bulk like 8-32 brass machine screws, i can usually order a box shipped from McMaster-Carr for the local price of 1/4 or 1/3 of the box. Amazing how often i can walk to a shelf and get what i need without driving into town or waiting for a delivery!!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Agreed on the bulk. Grade 8 for $1.39/pound is a good value compared to Ace's $0.30 +/- per bolt. I use Ace if i just need a few of something, Tractor Supply (or Rural King--new to our town) for bulk in what they carry in bulk. For stuff i can't get in bulk like 8-32 brass machine screws, i can usually order a box shipped from McMaster-Carr for the local price of 1/4 or 1/3 of the box. Amazing how often i can walk to a shelf and get what i need without driving into town or waiting for a delivery!!
$1.38/# for Grade 8? Here I think the lowest grade is like $1.67/#? I'll check this weekend. You didn't go to the paint department, put the bolts in a plastic bucket, soak them in denatured alcohol/acetone and then take them to the cashier? :lol2:

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
$1.38/# for Grade 8? Here I think the lowest grade is like $1.67/#? I'll check this weekend. You didn't go to the paint department, put the bolts in a plastic bucket, soak them in denatured alcohol/acetone and then take them to the cashier? :lol2:
That's way too much effort...especially when there's cans of silver spray paint right on the shelf next to the acetone. Yeah, i didn't see a price on the shelf, but i needed them. Less than $7.00 later, i was in the car. Got home, looked at the receipt and was surprised at the per pound price--and the item listed was clearly Grade 8.