Greetings from The Great White North

KrashKing

Reaction score
Elzevir, Ontario, Great White North [Canada]
First name
Wayne
I somehow got linked by physX.org to a series of incredible pictures and information on ID'ing wood by one of your members; "phinds". 4 tabs running and I'm havin' a ball. Haven't done a lot of woodworking other than logging for decades. I did a lot of helicopter logging on Vancouver Island's west coast, spacing, thinning, planting, chokin'hookers and bucking on the landings. A long time ago, but still remember the sizes of slabs of burled trees that guys were taking home to stack and dry. Also remember Arbutus and monkey puzzle trees.
Up FAR north in BC, while prospecting,we discovered forests of "bonzai" pine and fir trees at elevation, and petrified LOGS deposited by glaciers above that! Anyone with a helicopter that loves hunting and fishing and mountain climbing, and will give us a ride up there to our old land claims, can have it! I may even have some pics if I can find them.[pre-digital age]
Now we're in NE Ontario, with 100 acres of unlogged bush, and the mineral and logging rights.A few different species I don't know much about, but lots of Birch[with chaga!], Shagbark Hickory, some type of decidious-conifer cross with soft needles, and lots of species with multiple burls. My brother is taking a few pics, but I haven't explored it all myself to see whats all out there. The only logging we intend to do is for improving the Driveway/Trail[mikes miles], but my brother wants to selectively log some of these "special" trees..., And this seems to be a great place to start! This has been a lousy winter for trails and travel. This Global Weirding has ruined any chance of ice roads, and left layers of ice'n'sugar snow and water. Even traks on UTV is a hard go. I will see what I can post in the future, for ID and maybe some other hints and info, and maybe one of the members will be interested in some of our trees. Anyways, I will be learning lots from you folks and the references you've supplied. Thanks again "phinds", for that amazing article on end-grain tree ID, and the informative links attached.
Sincerely, WayneR

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Wayne, welcome to the club....

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Wayne, Welcome from South Texas! Heck of an Intro post! Tony

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Welcome to the forum. Glad you liked my post on the Physics Forum. There's a longer version in a sticky in the wood ID subforum here and a MUCH longer on on my anatomy web site.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome from California, USA! Pictures will be appreciated of your many encounters in the woods! Chuck

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Welcome aboard Wayne, sound like a fun place you have up there, looking forward to some pictures....

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Welcome from Colorado and thank you for your introduction!! fun read and I am fascinated by your life...….wow. Also, what a change from BC to the east....

Best wishes and enjoy; crazy bunch around here and a lot of encouragement!!

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Welcome from Taunton Massachusetts. You have treated us all with a magnificent intro and incredible wood resume. Hope you enjoy the site

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Welcome! Sounds like you’ve got a great setup... except for that frozen white stuff!