Grips, stocks, and maybe a bit more

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
16913442489451081672541143161394.jpg found these 2 steel tubes at a buddy's place and he was kind enough to saddle me with material for yet another project. They are both Connecticut valley arms. The right hand one appears to be laser etched while the left is stamped so the left is easier to identify. 50 hawkens. Somehow he didn't know where the action for either currently resides...
So I was thinking to watch for a civil war era style action to drop in a piece of crotch figure walnut he is still holding.
The wife thought lamp or table legs:shok::ohno:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Oh Man - how fun! Don't know if interchangable, but see actions (with the rest of the rifle) at antique shows all the time - for not all that much money nowadays. if not the Civil War Show is in Franklin usually in December - sure something could show up there. There is also the Leipers Fork Flintlock guy - he might be able to help you - nice guy.

Last edited:

Reaction score
First name
Frank
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suspect a flintlock guy might be required to start me in the right direction... I sorta think my Google skills may exceed my metallurgy at the moment. I learn fast, but I need a real person with real experience to learn from. The Google isn't infallible or even accurate at times.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Oh, forgot - might also try Dixie Gun Works up in the NW - NW TN that is. Not as west as @Karl is, but NE of him in Urine City - sorry - Union City.

SubVet10

Veteran, Author, Maker
Reaction score
First name
Brandon
Traditions makes kits. The way things go buying a hardware kit may be cheaper than buying the lock alone. I searched flintlock kit and it came up with several makers.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
View attachment 245492found these 2 steel tubes at a buddy's place and he was kind enough to saddle me with material for yet another project. They are both Connecticut valley arms. The right hand one appears to be laser etched while the left is stamped so the left is easier to identify. 50 hawkens. Somehow he didn't know where the action for either currently resides...
So I was thinking to watch for a civil war era style action to drop in a piece of crotch figure walnut he is still holding.
The wife thought lamp or table legs:shok::ohno:

You still working with these? If you're looking for parts/componants etc, I don't know of a better resource than Dixon's Muzzleloading Supply, located in central PA. Not sure if their website is down or if something else is going on but they still have an ebay store. https://www.ebay.com/str/dixonmlshop.
Used to have a world class annual black powder maker's event/fair and juried competition but I think the plandemic destroyed that. But they sell every conceivable part you could want. Chuck Dixon wrote a few very instructive books on making flintlocks, Pennsylvania Longrifles etc.

Another great resource, full of countless other resources, would be the National Muzzle loading Rifle Association. https://www.nmlra.org/

Jim Chambers is among the more well known makers of very high quality reproduction locks and other components. https://www.flintlocks.com/index.htm

Reaction score
First name
Frank
You still working with these? If you're looking for parts/componants etc, I don't know of a better resource than Dixon's Muzzleloading Supply, located in central PA. Not sure if their website is down or if something else is going on but they still have an ebay store. https://www.ebay.com/str/dixonmlshop.
Used to have a world class annual black powder maker's event/fair and juried competition but I think the plandemic destroyed that. But they sell every conceivable part you could want. Chuck Dixon wrote a few very instructive books on making flintlocks, Pennsylvania Longrifles etc.

Another great resource, full of countless other resources, would be the National Muzzle loading Rifle Association. https://www.nmlra.org/

Jim Chambers is among the more well known makers of very high quality reproduction locks and other components. https://www.flintlocks.com/index.htm
Thank you. I have found several of Mr chambers products in online stores. The ones I found most recently were unassembled and required heat treating. But they were moderately priced compared to some other stuff I have found.
I am not currently working on them but I am in collecting mode where I watch for crap I think I can use on projects I already have parts for. And those barrels are on my list for getting parts.
I always have more projects than I can do in a reasonable time. It's what I do. I also have an entire rolling frame and carriage for a portable sawmill that just lacks a 36 inch bandsaw mill to make it a 10 thousand dollar set up. Year 3 on that...

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I always have more projects than I can do in a reasonable time. It's what I do. I also have an entire rolling frame and carriage for a portable sawmill that just lacks a 36 inch bandsaw mill to make it a 10 thousand dollar set up. Year 3 on that...
I have no idea what that's like. :sarcastic::sofa:

There are many annual events/shows for people that make traditional black powder arms and accoutrements. I know Jim, among many others, do those shows like a circuit through the winter and spring. Met him at the 18th Century Artisan's show in PA, happens every February. https://www.longrifle.com/event/18th-century-artisan-show-lewisburg-pa/

He also did the show at Dixon's in July so I know he gets around, may have a list of events on his site, could be something local happening by you. Good places to make lots of connections. Maybe even sell/trade some wood.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Was looking over that last site, new to me and under events, you have something to look forward to in April.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Chambers website is very informative. Now I once again have too many options... I am leaning toward flintlock with the lighter powder loads since I have no proof the barrels are in great condition. But the percussion type is much, much more similar in reaction to the standard rifles we all sprayed lead with growing up.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Chambers website is very informative. Now I once again have too many options... I am leaning toward flintlock with the lighter powder loads since I have no proof the barrels are in great condition. But the percussion type is much, much more similar in reaction to the standard rifles we all sprayed lead with growing up.
Haha. Well, you have two barrels, do one of each. I like the flintlocks myself as the older mechanisms are just really beautiful and if all goes south, again, and you can't get primers/caps etc, you can always find flint.
You can always bring the barrels to a gunsmith to proof test them. All they do is clamp them in a vise with a string to the trigger and fire them with an over charged load, I believe 150% max. If they don't take damage from that, then they're deemed safe for normal loads.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I know how to pull a string... I can see the value of doing one of each. I will put that in my to be collected list. The thought may have crossed my mind that flint is easier to find than percussion caps...