Grips without a gun!

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Not my typical 1911 grips but, the wood is still pretty, just the same. I made this set for a client in Pennsylvania who owns CZ pistols and wanted a set of exotic wood grips to replace the mundane factory grips that came on the pistol. These were a little more time consuming as they required a lot more hand shaping due to the curves on the back straps. This is only the second time I've strayed from John Moses Browning's iconic 1911 platform. The first was for a loyal client who requested a special set of grips to put on a Walther PPK .32 auto that his dad gave him. Presumably a war trophy taken from a German officer.

As I said, I don't own a CZ pistol so, I had to photograph this set "naked", without the pistol to mount them on.

CZ (Kris).jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Immaculate! Do you think your customer could send a pic with the grips on? Chuck

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Immaculate! Do you think your customer could send a pic with the grips on? Chuck
Even if he did, it would likely not be up to Curt's high standard for pics.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
So you must have templates for a lot of different grips? Or did he send you the grips off the actual pistol to use as a pattern?

Customgripper

Reaction score
First name
Curt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you must have templates for a lot of different grips? Or did he send you the grips off the actual pistol to use as a pattern?
No Doug, I don't have a lot of patterns/templates, since I focus mainly on the 1911 platform. And yes, he sent the factory grips that came on the pistol for me to use as patterns.