...grrr... doing something wrong

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Maybe I am too heavy handed with the soft woods? Everything was going great, I had the shape I liked, was very happy with the bead foot and rim. I started to hollow it out and it flipped off the lathe and bounced across the floor. I had a big pile of shavings there yesterday before I swept them all up. After lunch I am going to put it back on the... can't think of what you call it, the plate with the holes for screws, and turn off the foot and make another mortise and see if I can finish it. I saw more cracks in the wood (you can see it in the second image) so I am not too hopeful it's going to stay in one piece.
C01.JPG C02.JPG

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Sorry to see this! Hopefully it just bounced on the lathe and floor, and not your chest.

I think you're referring to a faceplate? Good luck as it's a nice looking piece!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
What speed were you turning at? Sounds like you just had a catch and pulled it out of the chuck. Hope you're okay, that's the main thing! Tony

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Were you chucking on the inside of the base? If so, looks like a bit too much pressure. I don’t like inside chucking for that reason, and certainly not for bowls...less forces generally using that technique with shallower turnings like platters.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What speed were you turning at? Sounds like you just had a catch and pulled it out of the chuck. Hope you're okay, that's the main thing! Tony
Around 900, just under 1000. I was standing to the side so I was in no danger of being hit.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
It happened again. Was hollowing out the inside and boom, popped off the chuck. At this rate I am going to have a lot of aromatic fire wood this Winter.
C03.JPG

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Chucking inside, compounded by soft wood, with no tailstock support. Minor catch is all it takes and it blows out.

Plate with all the holes for screws is maybe referring to Jacobs Chuck, if you were trying to turn another mortise or tenon on the bottom.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Chucking inside, compounded by soft wood, with no tailstock support. Minor catch is all it takes and it blows out.

Plate with all the holes for screws is maybe referring to Jacobs Chuck, if you were trying to turn another mortise or tenon on the bottom.
I tried a tenon on another piece and it ripped off as well.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Are you going to SWAT? If so, take what's left of that with you and go see @Nubsnstubs and let him show you a trick or two using his tailstock steady.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I can send you more. Just keep practicing. With cedar being so soft, you don't want a lot of pressure on the tenon. If you were chucked on the inside, very little pressure and need tailstock support. Chuck from the outside and go slow speed snd light cuts with sharp tools.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I can send you more. Just keep practicing. With cedar being so soft, you don't want a lot of pressure on the tenon. If you were chucked on the inside, very little pressure and need tailstock support. Chuck from the outside and go slow speed snd light cuts with sharp tools. AND, TAILSTOCK SUPPORT.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I can send you more. Just keep practicing. With cedar being so soft, you don't want a lot of pressure on the tenon. If you were chucked on the inside, very little pressure and need tailstock support. Chuck from the outside and go slow speed snd light cuts with sharp tools.
I'll keep at it. The carbide tools have new blades on them. I should have rotated the round scraper for the inside. I'll just take deep breaths and shallow cuts.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Carbides can be a tad aggressive of softer woods, to suit my taste. On a softer wood, you'd probably do better with a regular old round nosed scraper inside the bowl.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Carbides can be a tad aggressive of softer woods, to suit my taste. On a softer wood, you'd probably do better with a regular old round nosed scraper inside the bowl.
Oh I have one of those. I am trying to learn how to use one. I did well on the outside but didn't use it on the inside.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Kevin, I was at the Habitat for Humanity on Walzem right up the road from my house yesterday and they have 4" x 4" x 8' cedar pieces for $8 each. Grab you some and play with those.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Kevin, I was at the Habitat for Humanity on Walzem right up the road from my house yesterday and they have 4" x 4" x 8' cedar pieces for $8 each. Grab you some and play with those.
Thank you, I'll swing by and get some

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
If you are going to expand your chuck jaws into a recess, you need a ring of solid wood at least 1" wide around the recess. (Your pix look like you have maybe a quarter inch, but that could be my eyes.) For soft woods like cedar, I'd go even wider than that.

The alternative is, as folks have said, to clamp around a tenon (sometimes called a spigot) - but what they didn't tell you is that these have to be large enough that they don't simply snap off. If you clamp the chuck jaws too tight, you can easily crush cedar. After fighting it a number of times, I now use my 4" chuck jaws clamping on a tenon, or my 3" jaws expanding into a recess that has 2" or more solid wood all around it.

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
If you are going to expand your chuck jaws into a recess, you need a ring of solid wood at least 1" wide around the recess. (Your pix look like you have maybe a quarter inch, but that could be my eyes.) For soft woods like cedar, I'd go even wider than that.

The alternative is, as folks have said, to clamp around a tenon (sometimes called a spigot) - but what they didn't tell you is that these have to be large enough that they don't simply snap off. If you clamp the chuck jaws too tight, you can easily crush cedar. After fighting it a number of times, I now use my 4" chuck jaws clamping on a tenon, or my 3" jaws expanding into a recess that has 2" or more solid wood all around it.
You're right. It was 1/4", and since the bowl is still solid I can take that down again and try a tenon. I'll throw the "base is 1/3 the diameter of the rim" thing out the window and just try to finish the bowl.