Guess what I'm making for Christmas this year?

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
See!! I told you so!

Got to playing with them yesterday since I'm restricted from bigger work. Pulled the latex mold off of one. WOW what a chore!! But I finally got aggressive and it came off. Below is the inside-out latex mold just pulled off the urchin

View attachment 210064

Then turned the mold inside out and sprayed with a release agent. Hmmmm let's try this!! So I sprayed some rattle can black on it and toweled off the high spot. It's inside out so those are actually the low spots. I then turned the mold right-side in.

View attachment 210065

I mixed some Caracao green pigment in one side of my resin, mixed the two together and quickly poured it into the mold. This resin has about a 3 minute working time. Rolled the mold around and around making sure I got the inside covered all the way to the opening's edge.

When this stuff kicks you're done, no more rolling and it heats up almost to where you can't hold it. After about 20 minutes to cool down I peeled the latex mold of the casting. I then took an acetone wet rag and wiped it off. This took the black paint off the High points and left them clearish.

I didn't get pictures of all the steps but here's the lineup Caracao Green, original urchin, Rattlecan Red and latex mold in the background.
Lots of possibilities. All of these will accept painting afterwards also

View attachment 210066

The resin I bought, by mistake, is clear, normally I get the bone or white. But if you shine a light inside of these and light them up all kind of ideas come to mind!! @trc65 @Tony @woodtickgreg @Deputydawg
This is super cool!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That is so cool! A never ending supply of sea urchins. :cool:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:cool: :cool::cool: (That's three cools!)

I bet getting the latex mold off was a real pain. Surprised it came off without crushing the urchin.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
:cool: :cool::cool: (That's three cools!)

I bet getting the latex mold off was a real pain. Surprised it came off without crushing the urchin.
AAAAhhhhhhhh refer back to post #22 --- quoted below

Let's do all three. Are the ones you're sending gonna be filled? It would be best but not a deal breaker. PM coming!

They are all filled. Also, I've got plenty of these extra, so if these need to be sprayed or treated with something to release molds, not a problem.

Last edited: