Guitar fret finishing in Tulipwood (Dalbergia decipularis) Question

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
This is awfully late and I'm sure you've already found something for that tulipwood
fretboard by now, but I just have to tell you about a remarkable product that I use quite a bit. I'm pretty sure that with all the serious woodworkers here, some have found out about Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax. It's the slickest stuff I've ever found for polishing. It might be good for initial finishing or maintenance on a light-colored fret board. It was invented for museums and restorationists of all types, and used all over the world by the real pros. Yes, it's expensive, but since it's used a drop at a time, it goes a LOOOONG way. It will protect silver and brass from tarnishing, put a gorgeous patina on wood, leather, ivory, and whatever. It resists finger prints, doesn't darken or stain wood, repels water, DRIES INSTANTLY, can even be used on paintings, paper, whatever. You should read up on this stuff at the every least. It's phenomenal. It contains no silicone or other finish repellants. Okay, I'll shut up before someone accuses me of owning stock in the company.

Hope this finds you well and productive.
c:
I’ve used Renaissance Wax for the past several years on bowls and other turnings. Learned about it through WB! I find that it adds a really nice, smooth sheen to the finish. I do recommend it. Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Good to know about wood. I bought some a couple of months ago for protecting some steel.