had a blow out

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hi, just started carving not to long ago, again. I finished up a cherry spoon i have been working on. I had it down to finishing. there was a little that had to come off the inside. So i went to work with my spoon knife. But not knowing any better yet, I do now the wood split and a big chunk came out of the front of the bowl. can any body think of a way to save this or is it firewood thanks mike

spoon.jpg

spoon1.jpg

spoon2.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Ouch. Looks like firewood to me but I've never tried that big a repair. Maybe somebody here will know a way.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
I have NO experience with this at all,I’m thinking you could glue the piece back in,will probably see the line,or what about shallowing up the bowl? My $.02

Bob Ireland

Reaction score
First name
Bob
I agree with Chuck. If you truly want to save it, cut off the end with the damage and make it like a small ash shovel/scoop.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Actually, the best thing to do with it is mount it on the wall of your shop as a cautionary reminder to NOT do that again :smile:

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks, the ash scoop is out unless its for Gulliver's little people, its only an 1 1/2 wide, i did consider a scoop or square ended utensil. I wasn't thinking of repair but reshaping, if I don't do anything with it it will probably be used for a edge testing piece. I never thought of filling the side with epoxy I think i'll try that thanks mike

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I did the epoxy, it worked out ok thanks for the suggestion here are the results, finish is mineral oil and bees wax, wood is cherry

spoon3.JPG

spoon4.JPG

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Rats, I'm late to the show. I was going to say, fill it with epoxy, but use some color in it. Maybe some black crushed up charcoal or some brass shavings....

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have some walnut dust that would have looked good. But I didn't think of coloring until after it was done maybe next time, if I don't for get again

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have some walnut dust that would have looked good. But I didn't think of coloring until after it was done maybe next time, if I don't for get again
Yes, but it will turn a darker color, so thats why I suggested black or some other contrasting color.