Handles for my old 'not a knife'

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
@Eric Rorabaugh was kind enough to send me a specific piece of fibrous material for a particular named use.
Here ya go
20211023_122939.jpg basic rough out 20211023_122959.jpg not a perfect fit to the steel but it was a good fit for my hand 20211023_123005.jpg scratched a line and rubbed with a pencil for visibility 20211023_123126.jpg steel shaper extraordinaire 20211023_130459.jpg 20211023_130459.jpg 20211023_130554.jpg
Finished product ready for epoxy.
Will likely get several months wear out of these scales. This is a Fulton bros cleaver for those who can't quite zoom in far enough to read it...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
That looks good.
I should redo my cleaver ine of these days. I have a crappy piece of oak on it right now.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
20211212_182741.jpg 20211212_182826.jpg finally got it mounted. Used gorilla version of jb weld to get proper adhesion on the tang. Will have another round of filling and smoothing to level out the handle and steel joint. The original handle was very utilitarian in shape so I added a few curves for the heel of the hand and the finger grip area.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Maybe you can talk somebody out of a piece of stabilized awesomeness or a cast and colored section of wow-wood.
Bro, I have so much wood, I need to start using it....although, I like that cast wood idea. I think I may have something that would work.
After Christmas though.....remind me.
:sarcastic:

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Good looking chopper. I have one I should do the same thing with.

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Bro, I have so much wood, I need to start using it....although, I like that cast wood idea. I think I may have something that would work.
After Christmas though.....remind me.
:sarcastic:
It is after Christmas. This is your reminder.
Almost too warm now isn't it? The liners are easy to replicate using a colored epoxy, thereby gluing it while being decorative. I used A black jbweld type epoxy. The 5 minute clear prefixing tubes can likely be colored using typical epoxy tints.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
And so it is. Thanks man. I gotta get on this. I'm going to make a note for meself. I'll look for it tomorrow

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
And yes...I totally forgot all about this. :sarcastic:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Ok...I found it. Took off the old handle then realized I forgot to take a pic..
IMG_20220403_100548_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
dag nabbit. I have been so preoccupied lately. It's on my little pull-out table right where that picture above was taken....still.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I even have this email notification still saved in my inbox just to remind me, yet here we are empty-handed.
I'm sorry Frank.

I really need to get into my shop soon. xmas is coming soon and I have nothing for that either.
You need to step up and get the priorities lined up! Lol!

Life certainly gets in the way of our intentions. Show us some pictures when its done. :pieface: