Happy Independence Day . . . .

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Today is Texas Independence Day, a state holiday. It's also my mom's birthday so happy Indy day to my fellow Texans and especially my mom. Who has only seen the forum once. :i_dunno:

Ten Colorful Texas Town Names:

• Notrees Founded in 1946, Notrees was said to have one native tree before it was chopped down for construction. The town got its name from a local merchant who petitioned for a post office, and decided on Notrees as the name.
  • Baby Head Located in Llano County, its name comes from the horrid discovery of an infant’s skull left on a mountain by local Indians. The 1990 Census counted 20 residents, but all that remains of the small Texas town is a cemetery and historical marker.
  • Bug Tussle Located in Fannin County, it got its name after a Sunday ice cream get-together was interrupted by an infestation of bugs. There are other explanations for the town’s name, but none as popular as the bug invasion. The 1990 Census recorded 15 residents.
  • Tarzan In 1927, Tant Lindsay, a storeowner, presented the post office with a list of names to choose from. They stuck with Tarzan. The town had 80 residents in 2000.
  • Happy Located in parts of Randall and Swisher counties in the Panhandle, it drew its name from a nearby ravine called Happy Draw. It became known for the relief felt by cowboys who found fresh water in the region. To this day, it is “a town without a frown.”
  • Dime Box Originally named Brown’s Mill, the town changed its name to Dime Box after repeatedly being confused with Brownsville.
  • Cut and Shoot Located six miles east of Conroe, it derived its name from a conflict at a community church. Residents were either disputing a new church design, membership or land claims, but it’s what a small boy said that gave the town its name. In the middle of the dispute, the boy said, “I’m going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!”
  • Ding Dong The town originated from a country store owned by Zulis Bell and his nephew Bert Bell. The two hired a painter to paint a sign in front of their store, but they couldn’t come up with any ideas. They decided to settle with a picture of two bells and the name Ding Dong for their store.
  • Carl’s Corner Located in Hill County. Carl’s Corner derived its name from local truck stop owner Carl Cornelius. He opened a store to promote the sale of alcohol in the area, which was considered a dry county at the time.
  • Sweet Home Located in Lavaca County, the town got its name from the first settlers, who deemed the area their home sweet home. It had a population of 360 in 2000.
I guess my claim to fame is that I live not too far from Bug Tussle and have been through it many times. They finally stopped putting up a city limit sign because they were getting stolen constantly. Now, the sign is a homemade one on someone's fence. If you blink your eyes for more than a second or two, you have literally gone through Bug Tussle in that period of time at 55 MPH.

:lolol:

What are some of the funny names of towns in your state?

scrimman

Termite extrodinare
Reaction score
First name
Sean
I've got a bunch of friends up in Washington-on-the-Brazos celebrating today wearing funny clothes and shooting off flintlocks in salute. Hell, maybe a cannon or two as well. Happy birthday Texas!

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Yessir Happy Independence day to you too – Next day to highlight is March 6!!

I’ve been through Bug Tussle a few times and also been through Tarzan, Happy, Dime Box, and Cut and Shoot. Gonna have to check out the other ones.

There’s a geocache challenge called “I’ve Been Everywhere (In Texas)” that requires you find a geocache in all the cities mentioned in the song. 91 totaled. I’ve been to all of them except 3 and they are on my hit list so I can say “I’ve Been Everywhere!” LOL

Happy Birthday Texas

Barry

Dane Fuller

Reaction score
First name
Dane
Indeed, Happy T.I.D.!

[attachment=19586]

Land in this area is sectionalized. Around here, back when every farmer only had 160 acres, there averaged 4 families every square mile. They were generally large families because Dad needed the help on the farm. Hundreds of small towns cropped up. In Childress county alone, there used to be close to 40 school districts. Some of the odd names here in the SE part of the panhandle are Needwood, Tell, High Point, Hulianne, KC, & Garden Valley.

Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It.jpg

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
Ding Dong was the only new one for me :sarcastic:
Baby Head is on 16 just before you get to Llano. The "Baby Head Cemetary" sign lets you know you're almost there.

On a more serious note (because I like to ruin everybodys fun) every Texan and freedom loving American should know the story;

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only bigger story fabricator than a Texan is another Texan ...