Happy wife = happy life

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
My wife bought some new lamps for the bedroom a couple of years ago.
They were not inexpensive by any means. But they were cheap.

She had to switch them around after a few months because the cheapo socket wore out on the first one.
Last week, the second lamp went out because the switch/socket wore out.
She was down to using a floor lamp to try to read with. Not the best choice.

Anyway, she asked me if I could fix her lamps so she didn't have to buy new ones.
New lamps are $258 each. No joke. I'm not talking about luxurious, crystal lamps by any means.
Just regular bedroom lamps.

Anyway, I went to my local Mom & Pop hardware store & got some new sockets. $6 each.
I changed out the old sockets & fixed her lamps in a few hours.
The old sockets were so cheap, they fell apart in my hands when I took them off.
It's lucky we didn't burn down the house because of them.

She's happy she didn't have to throw away almost $600 for new lamps.
She's happy, so am I.
:whatever:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
You come off like the hero in that one Herb!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
our whole house is antique lighting. another obsession of mine. some have original socket- granted they have been cleaned and some parts replaced but 90 yrs old. when we added the dining room we bought 6 outdoor lights to go around out side. now they were not cheap but not real spendy. in 2 years the bulb sockets -3 each light started to turn when changing bulbs, in 3 years half were rendered useless. we took them down -I had the parts and in a couple hours had changed to single bulb sockets. 10 yrs later they work. cheap imported crap- hopefully we go back to doing our own manufacturing. If you have to buy it a couple 3 times it is not cheaper.....

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to have Leviton 3 way sockets made in the USA in a fix-it drawer in my shop. I had probably 20 of them.
I used them all up over the years & couldn't get new ones.
Now they have them but they're all made in China.
My old USA made sockets would last 30 years using them every day. I know, because I wired up my Mom's lamps back in 1988
and they're still going strong. If these new sockets last 3 years, I'll be amazed.