Hard lesson! Sycamore

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Sycamore does NOT keep well!!
I’ve learned at the courtesy of nature. A while back (3yrsI guess), had stacked up& sealed ends of Sycamore from a friend’s storm damaged tree.
Went to go cut some today and had that sinking feeling -literally— when the saw cut with little resistance. It all went to mush. It wasn’t on the ground, but now it is. Will flame it once it dries out here.
Sure looked nice until ya touch it.

DEBAF9BF-1481-4D11-B2E0-8964EBEA215C.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Dave,

If you have the chance to repeat, only wait 3 months and check one piece. Use the same piece and check at 5 months. You can do the beer treatment and a few other options, but within a year is common for sycamore when spalting. As firewood, needs to be split and covered. Similar to how A. beech weathers.

Sorry you had those results.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave,

If you have the chance to repeat, only wait 3 months and check one piece. Use the same piece and check at 5 months. You can do the beer treatment and a few other options, but within a year is common for sycamore when spalting. As firewood, needs to be split and covered. Similar to how A. beech weathers.

Sorry you had those results.

Ahhh— it happens.
As it was the tree was diseased and already had a lot of spalting.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I like to cut up my sycamore very soon after it is cut. QS is one of my favorite woods when it is stabilized.