hardwood floor finish?

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
what is a good hardwood floor poly finish? My father used water based poly and did several coats on the steps he redid and it scratched up badly. what do they use on hardwood floors they don't have an issue with the other flooring in the house just what he redid!

thanks Jeff

JohnF

Reaction score
First name
John
I have used the minwax floor poly on my own steps when I built them about 10 years ago and they have held up really good. They still look very nice. Seems to be a really tough finish. We built a set of oak treads and risers at my sons house and used something else. I cant remember the name, but was something from a flooring professional supply company. It appeared to me to be pretty much the same as the minwax. Milky colored, and put it on with lambs wool. It too looks real nice and no wear yet, but its been on only a year or a bit more, so I can't say for sure how durable it will be.

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
where do they sell that big box store like home depot? He said he's gonna use oil based this time hopefully it holds up better!

JohnF

Reaction score
First name
John
Yes home depot should have it. And its water based, not oil. It has advantages like it dries very fast. With oil you may have to wait 3 days to walk on that floor, and repairs down the road would not be as easy. Then oil yellows the wood up somewhat. . I myself would avoid oil based poly on a floor.