Hawaiian Hardwoods- Input wanted!

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
This is not a post to gauge interest before I make a purchase as I already have made an investment in the materials. To be open and honest with full disclosure, this is a partnership between @Don Ratcliff and myself that should benefit both of us and make available some neat wood to the WB community.

I will not be taking any first refusals here or giving anyone preferential place in line as pieces come up. What I am looking for is what sizes/cuts/shapes folks would be most interested in so as I move forward turning this pile of wood into blanks/slabs/sawdust/etc I cut pieces that will interest the largest audience here on WB.

It looks like we'll have Koa, Mango, Monkey Pod, some others, It's going to be a process to identify species on some of this as we go along so please be patient.

Obviously if I cut it all as 4/4 boards and folks wanted bowl blanks or pepper mill blanks etc. I'd kinda be shooting myself in the foot. once i have an idea of what sizes are most popular I can cut larger blocks that can be resawn as demand indicates.

I plan to ship as much as possible via USPS flat rate boxes so keep that in mind. If you're interested in larger pieces I am located in SE Minnesota so pickup would possibly be an option or in certain cases we can look at shipping via UPS or other carriers.

2017-05-25 15.10.06.jpg 2017-05-25 15.10.11.jpg

The100road

Reaction score
First name
Stan
Thanks for doing all the dirty work Colin!

Although I would like bowl blanks I think my budget would keep me into the smaller sizes such as below.

Keep us little guys in mind! :drinks3:

(Game call blanks) 1.5x1.5x6"
(Pot call blanks) 4x4x1

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
4" x 4" x 8" blanks for coffee mugs
10" x 3 to 4" bowl blanks
Maybe a small 8/4 slab or two

I would probably drive over to pick up, depending on what and how much I got. Or for an opportunity to get out for a day.

Foot Patrol

ABS Apprentice BladeSmith
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I use knife blocks and scales. I typically purchase in boards or slabs and cut my own to size and then send out to be stabilized.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
1.5"sq x 6" or 7" call blanks 4"x 4"x 1" pot blanks or dimensions of which could be re-sawn on my end to get them from.

Chris S.

Reaction score
First name
Chris
I am a big fan of flat work and would love to see some wonderful curly boards come out of this instead of blanks those crazy chipper will just turn into worthless piles of wood chips.

That said also be into some Vase blanks and large bowl blanks depending on price point.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
I am a big fan of flat work and would love to see some wonderful curly boards come out of this instead of blanks those crazy chipper will just turn into worthless piles of wood chips.

That said also be into some Vase blanks and large bowl blanks depending on price point.

Hey Now!!! :pieface:You single dimension visioned plank laying straight walled there is enough to go around and around and around you get what I am saying :saw: away Colin :saw: away!!:lol:

:givebeer:

:cowboy:

Rodney

Jim Beam

Total loser
Banned
Reaction score
First name
Robert
For me (and I will throw down some serious cash for purty wood) bowl blanks. I like 'em big. (big as my mini lathe will go)

12 x 12 x 4 or 5
10 x 10 x 4
9 x 9 x 4

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Thank you @Schroedc for all of this.

There is also a tree of purple heart. Some is the thinnest amount of sap wood and some where the sap is half and spalted nicely.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you @Schroedc for all of this.

There is also a tree of purple heart. Some is the thinnest amount of sap wood and some where the sap is half and spalted nicely.

Yeah, I'm going to have to look at those, some might make some crazy stabilized blanks with the spalting.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Hey Now!!! :pieface:You single dimension visioned plank laying straight walled there is enough to go around and around and around you get what I am saying :saw: away Colin :saw: away!!:lol:

:givebeer:

:cowboy:

Rodney

Settle down brother, there's some of us out here that have a foot in each camp! There's enough for everyone :drinks3:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Not that I know of..
Do all of the woods in your stash grow in Texas? :ponder:
Nevermind; I forgot the tony twins only use backyard woods...

:sofa:

I'm sorry, I forgot that only a Stoopid Islander would import a dam log......

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
Some more smoked treats around the corner!! Just sayin!!! Them t-har islands seem a long ways away. A simple taste is just that it does not hold the flavors or all that is there!!