Hello from Alaska North Slope

Barrly

Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
imagejpeg_2.jpg

This pen is made from Black Walnut, also from behind my house. It was pretty fragile before stabilizing but I really liked the outcome. Stand from the same tree.

Barrly

Reaction score
First name
Barry
IMG_20160408_194223.jpg

These 3 pens are made from the same piece of wood. Basically cut a 2 foot piece of Box Elder, stabbed it off then cut 3 pieces. Each piece made a box and the edge of the box was taken off to made the pen for that box. Made for a man and his two sons.

Barrly

Reaction score
First name
Barry
I've sold over 150, mostly at work and try to make each very unique and unlike the others. It pays for my hobby but not really making a lot. The people at work are like my second family and I have trouble charging a lot.

barehead

Reaction score
First name
Larry
"This is a close end pen made from a Redbud Burl from my yard. Stand from the same piece of wood."
Nice looking pen, Barry. Visited friends in Fairbanks last year. Saw lots of knotty spruce and birch in that area. Even a production bowl shop there!
Keep on turning!

Barrly

Reaction score
First name
Barry
"This is a close end pen made from a Redbud Burl from my yard. Stand from the same piece of wood."
Nice looking pen, Barry. Visited friends in Fairbanks last year. Saw lots of knotty spruce and birch in that area. Even a production bowl shop there!
Keep on turning!

Thanks, I try to make something every time I'm home. Each time seems like I find a little bit better ways to do things.

whitewaterjay

Reaction score
First name
Jason
Welcome Barrly, I like those pens a lot! Which brand of blanks do you use for those ones with the cap?

Barrly

Reaction score
First name
Barry
Sorry Don,
I just work in Alaska but live in Tennessee. Wish I could get my hands on some fresh Salmon. Have plenty of friends in Alaska but never pursued.