Hello from IL

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Hi all, coming to you from West Central Illinois. Town is Cameron, but no one will know where that is unless you have lived near here. Galesburg is the nearest larger town, and if that still doesn't help, I'm about an hour south of the Quad Cities and an hour west of Peoria.

I've been woodworking for a number of years, doing mostly flat work with hand tools. About a year and a half ago I bought a lathe, and it's been all downhill since. I've still got a number of flat projects I'm working on, but it gets tougher and tougher to focus on them.

To date I've turned bowls, platters and a number of different spindle projects. Currently working on processing a lot of apple as we lost a mature standard apple in storms last week. I've got to say, apple is by far and away my favorite wood to spin, and the waste is great for the grill/smoker.

I know nobody reads these threads without pictures ;) , so here are a few finished projects.

Spalted Apple, salt and pepper mills, bottle opener and stopper.

ians gift.jpg

Apple bowl

apple bowl top.jpg

Natural edge Elm bowl

Elm crotch side view.jpg

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome from California! Really nice pics of your turnings! It's okay to show off flat work, as well. Jump right into the forum to get the most out of it. Chuck

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Tim, welcome to the club, finally.

Interesting avatar picture. What's the backstory on the make up? Or that a natural look cuz you've been getting a lack of sleep since the lathe acquisition?
:sarcastic:

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Tim, Welcome from South Texas! Nice turnings, there's a number of us here who have a foot planted in both the Flatwork side and Turning side. Tony

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
:hi3: from Central Florida...sweet pics and sweeter turnings. The lathe will get you every time :biggrin:

BTW we read threads without pics but will bitch and ask where the :foto: are at :sarcastic:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Avatar pic: For about the last 10 years, I've been involved with the local Boy Scout troop and the Haunted House they run as a fundraiser. I usually run maintenance while the house is running, so need some makeup for when I run into customers. It is also the only picture of myself on my computer, so have used it as my avatar on all the forums I'm on.

I registered here and many other forums way back when a forum I was on went corporate and down the tubes... been reading posts here for a while and decided it was time to get off My butt and join in the fun