Hello from Northern Virginia!

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
Hi everyone! I've been a lurker on this forum for some time now, soaking in the wealth of information and discussion. I have been a hobby woodworker for several years, getting into small turnings and other projects like pens and knife handles more recently, which spurred an obsession with collecting rare, figured, and exotic woods. In a recent search for some interesting wood, I ended up obtaining a man's entire collection of Hawaiian/Southeast Asian wood blocks. Apparently he tried to get in on the wooden vape box mod craze about 10 years ago that came and went pretty quick.

I have to be honest with myself that I have neither the space nor the time/ability to use the 275+ pieces I acquired on top of the hoard collection I currently have, so I feel like this would be the ideal place to part ways with most of it. As soon as I'm able, I will probably start posting listings for species like:
  • Amboyna (moderately figured)
  • Black and White Ebony
  • Curly Red Eucalyptus
  • White Teak Burl (Gmelina Arborea)
  • Asian Ironwood Burl
  • Hawaiian Curly Kamani
  • Koa
  • Lychee
  • Spalted Mango
  • Malaysian Blackwood
  • Madagascar Plum Burl
  • Monkey Pod
  • Pollyanna
  • Curly/Burled Asian Satinwood (Crape Myrtle)
  • Sindora
  • Thinwin
  • Velvet Tamarind Burl
  • Wild Almond Burl
  • Alfzelia Xylay and Burl
If there is interest in anything in particular, let me know. Most of the pieces are call blank/bowl blank size, 6-10 inches in length, all probably as dry as they will ever get given their age.

Thanks!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Welcome Jeremy; great to have another Hokie on here!

Where are you located? I'm right in the Reston / Herndon area. We might have to meet up when you list that wood for sale so I can save on postage :ponder:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Jeremy, Welcome from South Texas! You've got some great woods there, I'm sure more people than me are ready for you to start listing it. Tony

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to WB! Would love to see pics of your woodworking projects! Chuck
Happy to share! Here are a few finished projects...
Red Mallee bespoke pen:
RedMalleePen.jpg

My first stock removal knife with Tamo Ash scales:
IMG_1299.jpeg

A popular knife block of mine I used to sell on Etsy:
IMG_6747.jpg

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
Welcome Jeremy; great to have another Hokie on here!

Where are you located? I'm right in the Reston / Herndon area. We might have to meet up when you list that wood for sale so I can save on postage :ponder:
I'm in Falls Church, so not too far away. Definitely happy to make arrangements to avoid the shipping hassle if you're interested at some point.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I'm in Falls Church, so not too far away. Definitely happy to make arrangements to avoid the shipping hassle if you're interested at some point.
I grew up right around the Lake Barcroft / Parklawn area off of Columbia Pike. My parents are still there so I'm over that way quite often.

hokie

Reaction score
First name
Jeremy
Jeremy, Welcome from South Texas! You've got some great woods there, I'm sure more people than me are ready for you to start listing it. Tony
Thanks very much! I am such a fan of so much of this stuff too and I never would have thought I'd be one of the people in this position, but here we are. Looking forward to clearing out my living room. haha

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Thanks very much! I am such a fan of so much of this stuff too and I never would have thought I'd be one of the people in this position, but here we are. Looking forward to clearing out my living room. haha
I'm looking forward to it also! Lol

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Howdy Jeremy, I’m a bit west of you and Steve in Leesburg. I’m closer to Hamilton in the county actually, but I have a Leesburg zip code. I’d be interested in seeing the Afzelia Xylay you’ve got. Always been one of my favorites with the right patterns.

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Welcome from Wisconsin, very nice work, I really like the knife.
I can see what I'm missing in my shop , a couch and coffee table

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Jeremy, welcome to the madness here at WB! Gorgeous projects! There are a number of us here that would be very happy to relieve you of some your "burden"!