Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Hello to other woodworkers, goodbye to the hobby...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MrSeabass, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MrSeabass

MrSeabass Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Sebastian
    For membership reasons I have to post here before I can post in the classifieds, so... hi.

Long story short, I've been a hobbyist woodworker since I was a kid and spent the past few years as a silent observer trying to make it into something more than a hobby. Made some creative pieces, oddball furniture, just stuff I liked to make on a whim for a while. Unfortunately I have had to make a hard decision this past weekend and walk away from it all. A combination of work/isolation, location (I hate the suburbs and want to leave), enthusiasm, finances, and - sorry to be a downer - loss of my woodworking father a few years ago means firing up the table saw no longer makes me happy and is keeping me from 'escaping' to something better. I am considering selling my house and moving closer to a walkable city area (which means for all intents and purposes, I will no longer own a garage or workshop/workspace) and my garage full of 'what could have been' tools and supplies is the last thing preventing me from pursuing this. So basically, I joined here to begin the long process of selling my regret in hopes that someone else will find the joy I can't seem to locate :(

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  2. T. Ben

T. Ben Member Full Member

First name:
    Troy
    Sorry to hear all of that,hopefully you’ll have something I’d like to have.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Sebastian, I'm sorry to hear it no longer brings you joy, that sucks big time. Maybe we can be beneficial to you and your tools can continue to get use in new shops. Tony

4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Howdy Sebastian, welcome to the club....
    That's a real bummer to read. Good luck with the sales....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Welcome from California! When you've posted a few times you will be able to then list your tools for sale. Hate to hear about transitions like yours. Chuck

6. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    A sad welcome from Michigan. :sorry:

7. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    :hi3: from central Florida. Like you, my father was my inspiration to woodworking. Now that he is gone I use the hobby to be closer to him. You may want to hang on to your equipment for awhile and maybe you will once again be drawn to it. Whatever you you decide to do I hope you find peace...god bless.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    Can't say I'd like the suburbs either, too crowded. Moving to a city just sounds more expensive and depressing to me. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MrSeabass

First name:
    Sebastian
    Thanks for the comments so far; the writing has been on the wall for a long time now, but I had to be honest with myself and move on. I'll probably sprinkle a few finished projects here during my tenure just for show-and-tell. I'll still hang on to some woodworking staples (chisels, drivers, smaller precision items, drills, etc) that can all fit in a repurposed airline drink cart, but the big ticket or bulk items will be sold/donated/trashed as I see fit. There are some specialized tools that are basically unsellable on places like Craigslist that I'll post here shortly, while your standard band saw or drill press can easily be passed off at a garage sale. Thought about just shoving everything into a storage unit, but the back of the envelope math means it would be cheaper just to sell it all and buy it back at a later time. Who knows, maybe in a year or two I'll start over.

As for moving, I am a permanently remote employee - technically my office is in NYC while I live in ATL. My social life is always a 45 minute drive away to the city, and the remoteness/isolation from always being at my house far away from everything is taking a toll. On the other hand, my house value is almost 2x now from when I bought it, so it would be a gamble to sit on it for longer.

• Sincere Sincere x 6
  10. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Welcome from SE Texas!
    To me, kind of a bittersweet Howdy!
    You are confronting what everyone hates to do or think about. I’m no young pup, but I do and plan things with aging in mind— I have accepted that I’m not bulletproof like the young’uns think they are.
    Good luck on your sales— “here” is a good place to start with like minded folks

11. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    It's sad to hear what's going on with your life. If your mind is made up then I wish you the best in finding a new direction. I am not preaching by any means but my wife and I lost our Son last year. The saddest thing I've ever had to do was to take down his shop. He had just retired from a career in the U.S. Air Force and he and I had worked wood since he could hammer nails into a board. These days I fire up his machines and continue on just as we did together. It's how I keep close to him. Don't let go until you are absolutely sure cause once they're gone they're gone for good

• Sincere Sincere x 7
  12. MrSeabass

First name:
    Sebastian
    Sorry to hear about that, I had those same feelings too. I've had other people have a similar anecdote about continuing the tradition, but without going into too much detail his passing was predictable/preventable and happened during a very strained time with my family, so I did take a break for a while before resuming again. The downside is I would not admit to myself that I was forcing myself to like the hobby, so I spent more and more time trying to justify it, which with my remote employment was turning me into a shut-in. And with that, I was getting closer to falling into the patterns of what my dad was doing for a long time, and that was a huge wake-up call. Again, I'll still have a small collection I'll hang on to just in case, but for my mental/social health this is a needed change.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  13. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    Well I sincerely wish you the very best in whatever direction the road takes you. Along with others here I will be watching as you post your items. May you find peace in whatever you do

• Agree Agree x 1
Current Time: 7:01 PM