Help ID this Wood

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
Need your guys’ help with another few pieces of wood…
Pictures 1-5 are from a single large 24”tallx24”dbh round/cookie.
Pics 6 & 7 I believe is Ash but could be wrong
Pics 8-10 are again from a much larger round I picked up from the dump and is turning out to be some pretty decent quality wood.

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2330.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah, Poplar! so thanks to you guys I discovered a new favorite wood, well, thanks to whatever tree service dropped this piece of “Rainbow Poplar” off in my driveway! I’d never seen this kind of wood before but gosh dang if it’s not the easiest wood I’ve ever turned with, and also pretty on the eyes! Poplars we’re always the trees that made me the most nervous to climb and remove, reminds me of asparagus, breaks in half wherever it feels like so it makes us climbers a bit puckered. Thanks Mike and Peet, I think you’re right about that being sugar maple, the quilted lines shoulda gave it away..

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Ah, Poplar! so thanks to you guys I discovered a new favorite wood, well, thanks to whatever tree service dropped this piece of “Rainbow Poplar” off in my driveway! I’d never seen this kind of wood before but gosh dang if it’s not the easiest wood I’ve ever turned with, and also pretty on the eyes! Poplars we’re always the trees that made me the most nervous to climb and remove, reminds me of asparagus, breaks in half wherever it feels like so it makes us climbers a bit puckered. Thanks Mike and Peet, I think you’re right about that being sugar maple, the quilted lines shoulda gave it away..
Not Quilted lines, curl lines. Quilting is a different grain effect and rare in east coast maples. The big 3 in your area are Sugar, Red, and Silver maple. Each can often be told apart just by densities. Being your bowl has spalt, that changes lignin and makeup, which alters density. The 'W' on the bottom, is that your mark?

As for the ash bowl, the big 3 are White, Green and Black ash for your area. I would discount Black simply based on the fact that "hoop" ash has many more large pores at the growth ring interface than the other two. It also is a wetland species and less likely harvested or planted as a landscape tree. Green ash was very common as a landscape tree and also occurs naturally in much of NE. White ash is less common as a landscape tree but very common in the natural landscape. Seeing the brown heartwood on the bottom just looked more like White ash to me. You can do a density test with these 3 ashes as well to help determine species.

Rainbow Poplar is always a blast to work. Just wish it held the colors.

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
Peet, I had a feeling when I said “quilted” that I would be corrected as it being curly! 😂 and yes that WS is my signature. If you turn the bowl while looking at the symbol it spells my last name S E W E L L, the W makes the E’s and the two L’s. Some even say it spells my first name too, but that’s even more of a stretch. Thank you for the informative post! Here’s a better pic of my signature, just curious why are you asking?

IMG_2631.jpeg

Trace

Reaction score
First name
Steven
I work with a lot of Poplar, the rainbow colors of the pics look a lot like Poplar. I have been known to be wrong.

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
It’s confirmed . Rainbow Poplar. It’s still bright n colorful today so I’m hoping it doesn’t fade too much before I get a finish with UV protection put on.