Help Orange Peel

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Spraying canned lacquer on a bowl and its covered with orange peel. Too cold in the shop? I've used the same product on pendants with no problem.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I get that problem some times, and I think the temp causes it. It is recommended to spray lacquer at 70 degrees or above, I've got away with it being a bit cooler by bringing the spray can and the piece inside so they get nice and warm, then take em outside and spray it. I find I get the best results if it is 80 or 90, and I warm up the can in the sun a bit.....

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
I know this is obvious but I'm gonna say it anyhow.

It won't be enough to bring in the can so it's warm - the surface you're spraying on needs to be warm as well.

I would prefer that you not ask how I know this.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I know this is obvious but I'm gonna say it anyhow.

It won't be enough to bring in the can so it's warm - the surface you're spraying on needs to be warm as well.

I would prefer that you not ask how I know this.
Pics or it didn't happen... Chuck

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Spraying canned lacquer on a bowl and its covered with orange peel. Too cold in the shop? I've used the same product on pendants with no problem.

There's a couple things that could be going on here.......if you are using "rattle can lacquer", it could be drying too fact, in such case. if you check with Master's, buy a couple cans of a retarder, that will make it flash off slower......OR......there could be silicone contamination, and there are additives for that also.....good luck