• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Help? Pen like project, but not a pen

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
So I have it in my mind I'm going to make my husband something like this, I have the chalk holder already, and the piece to connect it. What I'm thinking I'm going to do is use 2- 7mm tunes for the length. Somehow leave one end closed. And use a stylus "plug" to close it so it can be attached. My main issue is I'm having trouble figuring out how to segment it to look like my husbands pool cue (or kind of like it). 20210622_104122.jpg
I'm thinking the top pic might be a little easier, but if someone out there has any suggestions on how to do either of them, (I'm really new at segmenting) I sure would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, anything so I can make this for him.
20210622_105523.jpg
Here are my picks for the colors, I have ebony, figured maple for the cue section, crushed emerald green acrylic, and several colors of vulcanized fiber board. I have them numbered on the Maple.
1.piece of ebony 2.white vulcanized fiber board
3. The green & ebony then either a piece of ebony or fiber board 4. Plain maple 5. Piece of ebony.
Trying to get it to look kinda like a pool cue, but don't need it real big as he carries it in his pocket while playing with the chalk hanging out...
I'm so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, and so sorry it's so long! Just need some advise. Thanks in advance! ~Jolie

20210622_105948.jpg

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Your layout is good. assemble it one segment at a time. do the middle section (always work from the center out) and trim it down with the bandsaw. Then glue on the end pieces. if you want the arrow look, start with the center arrow. Glue straight pieces to either side and then square it up. Then glue on the end caps.

1624387451240.png square up the blank along the dotted red line.
1624387700756.png

To get the white lines use credit cards, gift cards etc... between the segments. I hope this helps.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
Your layout is good. assemble it one segment at a time. do the middle section (always work from the center out) and trim it down with the bandsaw. Then glue on the end pieces. if you want the arrow look, start with the center arrow. Glue straight pieces to either side and then square it up. Then glue on the end caps.

View attachment 211364 square up the blank along the dotted red line.
View attachment 211365

To get the white lines use credit cards, gift cards etc... between the segments. I hope this helps.
Omg thank you so much!!! It really does!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Don't forget to take pictures of your progress as you work. Post it up in a topic for future reference.
Thanks!
Good luck on making it, I cant wait to see how you do.

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie

View attachment 211364 square up the blank along the dotted red line.
View attachment 211365

What type bit should I use to drill the 7mm hole brad tip or regular? I guess if I don't go to deep it won't matter, was worried about it messing up the acrylic.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
What type bit should I use to drill the 7mm hole brad tip or regular? I guess if I don't go to deep it won't matter, was worried about it messing up the acrylic.
The biggest problem you face is the glue joint failing due to too much heat. A brad point is good but take it slow and clear the chips often. If you have a can of compressed air you can use it to cool the bit down each time you retract it. Do you drill on the lathe or the drill press? Maintaining alignment is crucial!

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
The biggest problem you face is the glue joint failing due to too much heat. A brad point is good but take it slow and clear the chips often. If you have a can of compressed air you can use it to cool the bit down each time you retract it. Do you drill on the lathe or the drill press? Maintaining alignment is crucial!
I drill on the lathe. I can get some compressed air. And I figure on this one I'll let it set a day or so and let the glue cure.
Also trying to figure out which way would be best to cut the acrylic. I have a bandsaw, but very much a novice using it, when I start a cut the blade curves to the side then straightens up. I think I might need to tighten it a little bit.