Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Help

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by Mark., Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mark.

Mark. Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mark
    While I have a little bit of turning skills when I started this project I had no idea what a difference in size was going to show me just how little I actually know. I am going to try to up load a photo of this futuristic Bird Bath. Then I will continue to check out or check on the advice I receive from Y'all. I may mess this up again, but tiring one more time

image.jpeg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    What advise are you seeking?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Take a close up pic of it with a light background. too much stuff in that pic to concentrate on it. It's too far a way. Can't see it clearly even with zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    Proper size of turning tools & type. The only ones I am use to may not even be what I need to use. Wish I knew all the proper names, but I don't. I think 2 of them are scrapers, one is a 1" next is 1/2", then a 3/8 bowl gouge, & 5/8" parting tool. All being a set of 8 from Harbor Freight, not the bottom line set, but only 1 step up. I will check back with You late this evening, & with Pictures. Thank You for taking time to reach out to me Sir

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    I will do sometime today. I ask & I thank you for your time. Later

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    I have taken some pictures but I have this bad habit of not following directions to the T. Light background, not so light. I have taken a few pictures of the chisel's I have been using, so all advice rite down to the tools & what ever else You see I need to change will be appreciated.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I don’t see any reason that you can’t do the whole thing with scrapers... bowl gouges are a fairly recent addition to the turning arsenal. Heavier(thicker) scrapers are handy if you’re working very far off the tool rest. Shear scraping will give you a better surface sometimes for finish cuts, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the topic. Reed Gray has a nice video on scrapers... I believe his YouTube name is robohippy.

There are plenty of tools and techniques that will accomplish turning tasks... one may work better for you than another, but a little trial and error is par for the course. I would encourage anyone to get good with the tools they have and not get too hung up on ‘right’ or ‘wrong’.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mark.

First name:
    Mark
    When seeking for answer's I always take any,advice to heart. Sometimes I received some answers that doesn't make any sense at all, but I still put it in my toolbox just the same. Your advice not only made sense it has a lots of logic to it as well. Honestly Your advice sounded like the same answer I would have given when ask how do You make round raised panel window trim. Find what works for You.keep it Simple Thanks for Your input

• Like Like x 2
  9. phinds

phinds Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Paul
Current Time: 4:44 PM