Henry Rifle Single Shot (.243) Opinions

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Looking at purchasing a .243 for one of my kids and found a used (nearly new) Henry single-shot .243 for sale. I've only seen it in pics, but wanted to get opinions on this Henry rifle from those that may have any experience with it or similar (Henry, but in another caliber). Pros/Cons?

Also, what do you think is a fair price for a new/used gun that retails for ~$400. It does look nearly new and I've been told it's only had 2 or 3 rounds through it. No box, no paperwork, no scope. The walnut stock looks really nice. I know it's crazy times and gun prices are all over the place, but curious to see what others think it would be worth as the guy selling it has asked for a reasonable offer and/or trade.

Thanks in advance,

-jason

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone have any comments/opinions on the Henry single shot rifles? I did see there is a recall because of a possible issue with firing while the hammer is partially cocked/released with no trigger pull. It's a free fix (including shipping both ways) and Henry will update the trigger mechanism for a lighter pull. Apparently, there were complaints about the 9 lb. trigger on some of the guns.:scare3:

@woodtickgreg
@FranklinWorkshops
@sprucegum
@ripjack13

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
With the Henry's I've messed with (don't own one though), you can't go wrong. Great rifles

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I dont know anything about that rifle, but Henry's are held in high regard. I always liked this .410 lever action shotgun.
1596580739390.png

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I have a Henry Big Boy chambered for 44mag and it's a great rifle. Would buy another one in a nano-second. Their customer service is second to no one and everything on the gun is made in the USA. Be sure to send a note to them about buying the gun and they will send you a free coffee cup and hat. At least, they did to me. The owner himself responded to my note which was neat.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Ooh, I forgot about the big boy in 44 mag, yes please! :cool:

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
I have a Henry Big Boy chambered for 44mag and it's a great rifle. Would buy another one in a nano-second. Their customer service is second to no one and everything on the gun is made in the USA. Be sure to send a note to them about buying the gun and they will send you a free coffee cup and hat. At least, they did to me. The owner himself responded to my note which was neat.

Thanks for the info and confirmation on Henry quality and customer service. Looks like I'll be joining the Henry family as I was able to work out a deal with the seller. Should be picking it up from him in the morning.

-jason

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Now that our power is back on, I looked through my photos for these targets we shot a few years ago. My daughters and I went to the local range to practice and help the youngest pick out a new conceal carry gun. These show the relative hole sizes each made. My oldest daughter was shooting her .22, my youngest decided to go with a 9mm and I had my Henry rifle.

The girls shot pretty well (both are experienced with handguns) but their old man was on the money, and the scope wasn't on. A guy shooting in the lane next to my daughters had a 50 cal Desert Eagle and let us shoot it. That thing was scary. My oldest daughter did fairly well with a couple of shots and then the guy came to our lane to show us how it was really done. He was a marine, we found out later.

IMG_0364 2.jpeg

IMG_0366 2.jpeg

IMG_0365 2.jpeg

Last edited:

tocws2002

Reaction score
First name
-jason
Picked up the rifle, it looks even better in person. Can't wait to test it out.

The walnut stock even has a little bit of figure in it.

-jason

20200806_125804.jpg

20200806_125709.jpg

20200806_125724.jpg

Last edited: