Hey Greg-

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Saw one on Craigslist down here... Wanted $250 for the treadle alone, no cabinet. Had another, treadle was good, cabinet was in tough shape, water damage coming apart, with machine included, right next to it... $45 :whatever:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I need to visit and borrow a few of your machines :sarcastic:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
For $47 I'd have bought it for a conversation piece, whether it worked or not.
Funny thing is I really dont need it, I just bid on it for the cast iron base and the drawers, I need a bunch of the drawers for a project I have in mind.
The machine part will probably just go on a shelf to display, maybe convert it to electric someday.

I want the treadle!
Me too!

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'll pick it up tomorrow and then I can serial number date it.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
Funny thing is I really dont need it, I just bid on it for the cSt iron base and the drawers, I need a bunch of the drawers for a project I have in mind.
The machine part will probably just go on a shelf to display, maybe convert it to electric someday.

Me too!

That's one of the really nice cabinets. I wish I could find a way to trade you some drawers and get those from you.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That's one of the really nice cabinets. I wish I could find a way to trade you some drawers and get those from you.
Well it's going into storage and I'm not going to do anything with it right away. I'm up for a trade of the cabinet but I need a bunch of drawers. I actually have no interest in the cabinet, I only want the base, machine, and drawers. The cabinet does look nice in the pics? So I'm not actually going to make any snap decisions, just gonna sit on it for awhile. But a boat load of singer drawers might entice me, lol.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Saw one on Craigslist down here... Wanted $250 for the treadle alone, no cabinet. Had another, treadle was good, cabinet was in tough shape, water damage coming apart, with machine included, right next to it... $45 :whatever:
I wish I could find them here for $45. Everyone wants a fortune around here. I've got 3 treadles I need to get sandblasted and tables made.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
My Grandma on my Mom's side had an old Singer treadle sewing machine.
She made everyone's clothes ( 6 kids plus hers & my Grandad's) for many years on it.
I remember seeing her use it when we visited in the Summer.

It was her "Zen" to sew on that old machine. My Mom bought her a brand new White electric machine, but she didn't like it. Grandma said it sewed too fast for her to think.
It took me a few years after she passed away to understand what she meant when she told me that.
I still miss Grandma.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
So here's some other pics. The machine is in bad shape, seized up, decals trashed, and I'll just use it for parts, I have a couple doners like it, maybe I'll take 2 and make one someday. The top is in bad shape too, the veneer is chipped pretty bad. But the drawers and legs are in great shape! And that's what I actually bought it for.

20180807_134602.jpg the sides of the drawers are beautiful.
20180807_134709.jpg The legs are nice too.
20180807_140227.jpg
So this is 2 racks of drawers I need 4 more racks of drawers like this. Maybe from another brand if they are close in size. What I am wanting to make is an apothacary cabinet of these drawers for the sewing room for my girl.

kweinert

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Most of the ones around here on CL are in the $200 price range:

https://denver.craigslist.org/fuo/d/antique-white-treadle-sewing/6661860447.html

00W0W_ciO2Z1lrez8_600x450.jpg

There are about 15 of them listed today. I guess I never thought there'd be that many for sale.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Most of the ones around here on CL are in the $200 price range:

https://denver.craigslist.org/fuo/d/antique-white-treadle-sewing/6661860447.html

00W0W_ciO2Z1lrez8_600x450.jpg

There are about 15 of them listed today. I guess I never thought there'd be that many for sale.
They ask that on craigslist here as well, but I have seen the same machines posted there for years, really nice examples will sell though. Amazes me how people with a rusty machine and cabinet that is falling apart think it's worth hundreds just because it's old, lol.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
They ask that on craigslist here as well, but I have seen the same machines posted there for years, really nice examples will sell though. Amazes me how people with a rusty machine and cabinet that is falling apart think it's worth hundreds just because it's old, lol.

@woodtickgreg , I come across drawers all the time, have two sets of two right now (4 drawers) I'll keep saving them if we can work a deal. Those drawers you have were high end and I want them for my model 27 Sphinx cabinet.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Schroedc We might be able to work something out. I am needing to collect a total of 15 drawers. 5 banks of 3. I'm not going to be doing anything with this machine for awhile as I have lots of other things going on right now and still working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Schroedc

Reaction score
First name
Colin
@Schroedc We might be able to work something out. I am needing to collect a total of 15 drawers. 5 banks of 3. I'm not going to be doing anything with this machine for awhile as I have lots of other things going on right now and still working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Banks of three are going to be harder to come by. Those were the high end cabinets. 80% of the cabinets were built with two on each side so you could get eight sets of two.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
@Schroedc it's not really important that I have the racks, I can build a new cabinet to hold them. So 15 drawers alone will do. I'm not asking you for all 15, just stating that's what I need for my proposed project.